Other greens

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:35 pm

...Glad to see Mister Greenjeans was not forgot. But what is 'green mail'?

(how green was my tally? John Greenleaf was wittier)
Greenmail is a corporate raider's tactic. I'm not involved in any big business ventures, but many of these corporate raiders sound like they are the scum of the earth, making massive mounds of money without doing anything worthwhile. At least sports figures and rock stars entertain people, although their worth compared to, say, a heart surgeon or a good internist who save lives is questionable in the long run. And even after dealing with a realtor you have bought or sold (or both) a house or other property. But corporate raiders? Pie-rats of the lowest and scummiest kind.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:56 am

"Greenmail
Situation in which a large block of stock is held by an unfriendly company, forcing the target company to repurchase the stock at a substantial premium to prevent a takeover."
I also found this phrase in the business glossary lincked to the Alpha Dictionary:
"Greenshoe option
Option that allows the underwriter for a new issue to buy and resell additional shares."

Return to “Res Diversae”