CSM Language Column

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

CSM Language Column

Postby Slava » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:03 pm

Here's a link to this week's entry:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/1003/p18s01-hfes.html

I'm wondering what my fellow Agorans think of Ms. Walker's takes on the English language. Are you fans or not, and why?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:15 pm

This is the first time I have read anything by her. I enjoyed this article though.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:37 pm

Fans of her or fans of America?

I liked the article. In this election year, there are some who would call fans of America Conservatives or Republicans, and others who would call them Liberals (I tend to think of Libertarians as fans of themselves ("Every man for himself")) As for the rest of the world, I sometimes think the words they use for fans of America could not be printed in a family-oriented publication!

:shock:
Last edited by Stargzer on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:35 am

I'd like to point out that a British citizen could not be considered an Anglophile nor could a French citizen be called a Francophile. The term refers to a non-citizen who is keenly interested in the particular country. Henry James was an Anglophile, but G. B. Shaw could never be one. The the word for a fan of the US would be a French word or a British English word, not an American English term.

I would suggest someone in Australia who is fond of his American cousins might be called a "sepophile."

Return to “Res Diversae”