Tagline Graveyard

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:11 pm

This was never much of a hit, though I thought it clever:

Television is called a medium because it's so rarely well-done --Ernie Kovacs

so we move along...
Oh, I liked it, and Ernie Kovacs was one of the funniest comedians ever.

He and his wife, Edie Adams, were supposed to play the parts of Melville Crump, DDS and his wife Monica Crump in the comedy It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, but he died in a car accident before principle shooting began. Sid Ceasar took over the role Kovaks was to play, while Edie Adams kept her role as the wife.

I don't remember a lot of his programs first hand, but I do remember hearing the news on TV the day he died. I was fortunate to catch some of them on a special once. He was an incredible genius, both comic and technical in the way he used TV technology.

One episode featured a Western done in gibberish German; when the Bad Guy came out, Kovaks shouted "Schwarzes Bart!" The Nairobi Trio always had a special guest, often anonymous, in one of the gorilla suits.

Technically, at the start of one show, he kicked over a can of white paint, which ran down and spread into a white line near the bottom of the TV screen. He then laid down on his stomach, reached down into the line, and began to move his hands back and forth as the line turned into an oscilloscope trace and a sound began that changed pitch to match the sine wave pattern as he moved his hands back and forth.

As you may also know, the network, needing some videotape, decided to recyle some of his shows. When his widow heard this she rushed to buy whatever tapes were left, so we do not have a complete record of this man's genius.
"Nothing In Moderation" - The epitaph on his tombstone
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:20 am

Seeing as people have been shedding taglines like trees sheding leaves in the fall, or a lady her clothes in a recently popular country song by Joe Nichols, I guess I'll retire this one:
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand Binary and those that don't.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:56 am

"Heresy is a cradle; orthodoxy a coffin."
- Robert Green Ingersoll

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:13 am

"Heresy is a cradle; orthodoxy a coffin."
- Robert Green Ingersoll
:cry:
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:27 pm

I think this has had enough exposure:
"If K-A-T doesn't spell cat, what does it spell?" --Mark Twain

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:59 pm

I guess "Don't steal. The government hates competition." didn't go over well. I thought if was funny when I saw it on a bumper sticker while waiting on a red light. Sigh, oh well.
I thought of the new one after I took the "slang" test. :cry:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:11 am

I guess "Don't steal. The government hates competition." didn't go over well. I thought if was funny when I saw it on a bumper sticker while waiting on a red light. Sigh, oh well.
I thought of the new one after I took the "slang" test. :cry:
No No Huny it was a good one, just one of them eternal truths to which we all nod our assent -I know I did. If there was any flaw it was that it was too true. :)

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:54 pm

I think I've found how tall I am. Not as tall as I thought!

"If you’re not in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?" T.S. Elliot

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:17 pm

"This is a free country, and I have the permits, licenses, stamps, authorizations, stickers, passes, endorsements, and tax receipts to prove it."--Unknown
I don't know to whom this is attributed, and it isn't one that I am retiring, but...

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:52 pm

Inspired by the rise of "Who Says our Kids aren't Learning", this one's old hat, retired in favour of a political seasonal:

"Rarely is the question asked: 'Is our children learning'?."
(--George W. Bush)
Rarely indeed.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:31 am

“One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.”
- Oscar Wilde

Resting here, temporarily:
"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
- Theodore Roosevelt
Last edited by gailr on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:42 pm

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
- Theodore Roosevelt
Not to mention the accuracy of the user. Just ask Al Gore about the 2000 Presidential Election in Florida! :wink: :lol:
Regards//Larry

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:45 pm

I guess I shall retire Deepak's inspiring words for something a little less deep... "Life is a field of opportunities"
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:34 pm

Time to retire "This is a free country, and I have the permits, licenses, stamps, authorizations, stickers, passes, endorsements, and tax receipts to prove it."--Unknown

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:05 pm

Time to retire "This is a free country, and I have the permits, licenses, stamps, authorizations, stickers, passes, endorsements, and tax receipts to prove it."--Unknown

Sometimes opportunity knocks. Other times, you have to roam the streets until you find it, beat it over the head, and drag it back to your place kicking and screaming.

These are both real good, skinem. But the new one is so true, at least it feels like it in my life. I hate it when that happens. :roll:

Return to “Res Diversae”