Tagline Graveyard

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:05 pm

I like your new one! (I did have to read it more than once before the once long-ago used synapse fired...)
I liked your old one!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:24 pm

It took me twenty minutes to type this but 20 seconds to give it a rest.

Flam

.אכול ושתו, כי מחר נמות
(ישעיהו: כב"יג)
Flaminus quoted Isaiah: Eat and drink, for tomorrow we die. Of course if we don't die, we are left to contend with the caloric effect on our waistlines. :oops:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:04 am

Well, it's been a while since we had an entry here. Time to retire another set of bons mots.
"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line."
--Oscar Levant
Hey SG, I for one will miss this one- anyone who quotes Oscar Levant has my attention. Can I have it? Can I keep him? jk

Must say I further enjoyed your binary version of my latest.

I'd leave my own droppings but I'm tired of 'em and I'm sure so is everyone else...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:29 pm

Sure, you can use it. I just won't tell you where my secret stash of Levant quotes is; there's a few more there I can use. ;)

Add yours to the pile anyway. This can be a good source of good words. :)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:32 am

Add yours to the pile anyway. This can be a good source of good words. :)
OK you axed for it. The latest was a favourite palindrome:

Do good? I?? No! Evil anon I deliver! I maim nine more hero-men in Saginaw; sanitary sword a-tuck, Carol, I ... Lo! Rack-cut a drowsy rat in Aswan! I gas nine more hero-men in Miami! Reviled, I live on. I do, o God!

preceded by:
"Thank you, you have a lucky face" --John Lennon's speech upon being feted for In His Own Write

I think my first was a heraldment of Lord Buckley's 100th birthday {04/05/06}

So there they are for the ages. Eons from now someone will scan this thread and go, "who's John Lennon?"
Last edited by sluggo on Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:45 pm

. . . "Thank you, you have a lucky face" --John Lennon's speech upon being feted for In His Own Write

I think my first was a heraldment of Lord Buckley's 100th birthday {06/06/06}

So there they are for the ages. Eons from now someone will scan this thread and go, "who's John Lennon?"
As opposed to now, when mosta are asking "Who's Lord Buckley?"

The only routine of his that I rember hearing is "The Train" on the Zapped sampler album, compiled by Frank Zappa for Warner-Reprise, as I recall. But, I just read "Hipsters, Flipsters and Finger Poppin' Daddies" [link died] at the Lord Buckley site.

Check out the Wikipedia article, too.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:13 am

As opposed to now, when mosta are asking "Who's Lord Buckley?"

The only routine of his that I rember hearing is "The Train" on the Zapped sampler album, compiled by Frank Zappa for Warner-Reprise, as I recall. But, I just read "Hipsters, Flipsters and Finger Poppin' Daddies" at the Lord Buckley site.

Check out the Wikipedia article, too.
SG, thanks for posting the links I was too lazy to go and ferret out. Everybody interested in language should check out Lord Buckley at some point. In my experience a great present to receive is the biography "Dig Infinity!" which comes with a CD of performances. Reading the work is one thing but His Lordship really must be heard to be believed for the sheer passion of expression, not to mention multiple voices and sound effects.

FZ also released a whole CD of some of His Lordship's material, A Most Immaculately Hip Aristocrat. "The Train" is a lively piece although one of his shortest. The local so-called-at-the-time "underground" FM radio station in Philly used to play "Scrooge" every Christmas- unforgettable. "Jonah and the Whale" is another favourite. He was a cat far, far ahead of his time and strong influence on the likes of Robin Williams, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, George Harrison and a host of others.

To return to the tagline graveyard, I'm reminded of the Buckley quote I had attached to the 100th birthday tagline: “To be cool is to believe. To stay cool is to have the sweet fragments of serenity rock your wig away.”

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

two types

Postby sluggo » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:35 pm

This one's gettin' old, we move on...

"The world may be divided into two types of people: those who divide people into two types, and those who do not."

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:26 pm

. . . Everybody interested in language should check out Lord Buckley at some point.
For some real twisted words, listen to Lirty Dies: Ecret Sagents (in .au or .mp3 format), one of several Lirty Dies done by The Capitol Steps. I first saw them live many years ago during the Carter Administration at a conference. My daughters gave me tickets to see them last night (2006/06/30) at Towson University; though the personnel may have changed over the years, the political satire is still as good as ever.
Regards//Larry

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:19 pm

The ADD must be kickin' in again...time to say goodbye to this one...
I drank WHAT!!??
Socrates

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:02 pm

It's been three weeks awreddy, so we put this one to sleep:

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" --source: unknown, variously attributed to Dorothy Parker and W.C. Fields, the former more likely stylistically.
Internet searches commonly attribute it to Tom Waits in a 1970s episode of the TV show "Fernwood Tonight", which I confess was my original source. It's a bit too witty for Fields, and though Waits wears it well, he almost certainly recycled it.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:14 pm

It's been two weeks--time to retire...

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."

It is nonetheless still true...

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:27 pm

It's been two weeks--time to retire...

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."

It is nonetheless still true...
Sorry to see that one go, but the new one is also a winner.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:54 pm

"Too bad the only people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and cutting hair. -- George Burns"

Away it goes, into the recyling bin of history.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:31 am

I'd been consigning mine to the same original post, like archeological layers. Time to let go of this one:

"Wherever they burn books, they will also, in the end, burn people."
- Heinrich Heine

Return to “Res Diversae”