slo-o-o-w days at alpha

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

slo-o-o-w days at alpha

Postby KatyBr » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:57 pm

Man, like are all you guys on vacation from words? This mg drags....... try to show a little enthusiam ok? NOW! get that keyboard hummin'! Why are you still sitting there reading this and not writing? Go! :D

Kt
(self-appointed cheerleader)

William
Junior Lexiterian

Postby William » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:43 am

"Lean to the left!
Lean to the right!
Stand up Sit Down!
Fight, fight, fight!"

A ridiculous cheer from my high school days often used at
football and basketball games. But it was fun.

=====================================

Another from basketball (used when someone from another team was at the "free throw" line). This one the school administration tried unsuccessfully to suppress. ss.

"See that basket
See that ball!
Come on, crosseyed,
Hit the wall!"

A simple cheer from a university of my aquaintance
(University of Southern California)
"WE ARE --- ESS CEE!" shouted repeatedly by the 80,000 or so fans in the stadium at each game when the Trojans
were driving toward the goal line. I always thought that
"Trojan" was an unfortunate name to choose for a team.
Maybe the folks at Southern Cal never read Homer.

One of my favorites from another university of my acquaintance:

(This inovles the University of Arizona's "fight" song).

"Bear down Arizona
Bear down Red and Blue.
Bear down, Arizona,
Bear down and show em who's who.
Bear down Arizona
Bear down Red and Blue"

The above words were sung...Then came this cheer :

"Rack 'em up! Tear 'em up!
Give 'em H E L L Cats!!!"

(their mascot is the "wildcat" probably referring to the bobcat of which there is a large population in the American Southwest).

Then the final line of the song:

"Arizona, bear down."

This I know because one of my siblings attended that university.

Here are some other cheers used by obnoxious "Greeks" (fraternity people) at football games throughout the American west. These were used when an adverse call was made by any of the game officials:

"Elevator, elevator, we got the shaft!"

and

"Nuts and bolts, Nuts and bolts, we got screwed!"

What can I say, they were "Hellenists".

William

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:59 am

Here are some other cheers used by obnoxious "Greeks" (fraternity people) at football games throughout the American west. These were used when an adverse call was made by any of the game officials:

"Elevator, elevator, we got the shaft!"

and

"Nuts and bolts, Nuts and bolts, we got screwed!"

What can I say, they were "Hellenists".

William
An edited version of a cheer from a DC high school (might have been Cardozo) that my school (DeMatha) played against back in the mid-1960s, used when a ref made a call they didn't like:

It takes a rope,
(stomp, stomp)
It takes a tree,
(stomp, stomp, stomp stomp)
To hang a mortar-forking referee.

Calling them Hell-enists would be putting it mildly! :lol:

Hooligan, too, is too mild a term. :)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:12 pm

I always thought that

I don't know, but I always got the impression that Homeros was secretely rooting for the Trojans, whom he portrays as on the whole a more admirable, if less interesting, crowd than the Achaeans....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:38 am

. . . I always thought that
. . .
Happiness is a Trojan that doesn't leak. :wink: Image
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:18 am

Ooh, Larry, wicked !...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:04 pm

Stargazer wrote:
Happiness is a Trojan that doesn't leak.
I am peacefully reading through old posts on The Alpha Agora and I come to this. I am not quite awake, and mid sip of my coffee! The coffee went one way and I was laughing out loud, choking, but laughing. We interpret things so differently, for Stargazer was referring to Trojan boats, and my perverse mind thought he meant these kinds of Trojans. M. Henri Day's following comment of
wicked only seemed to cement the idea in my head.

Regardless...both examples work, and happiness is a Trojan that doesn't leak, be it a boat or otherwise!

Thank you for the laugh, what a way to start the day!
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:28 pm

Sunny, you're new to the Agora, so I think it not unreasonable to draw your attention to the fact that's there's more to our Larry (Stargzer ; note the absence of a second «a») than meets the eye. Thus, when he tells us that «[h]appiness is a Trojan that doesn't leak» and provides a link to a site on boats, it might be wise to consider the possibility, however, remote, of a certain degree of spin....

Henri

PS : Glad in any event that we could provide you with a laugh, notwithstanding certain unfortunate effects upon your matutinal caffeine* consumption !...

曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Grogie » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:46 pm

Things are indeed a little slow but they,ll pick up.

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:47 pm

With another cup of java ?...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:34 pm

Stargazer wrote:
Happiness is a Trojan that doesn't leak.
I am peacefully reading through old posts on The Alpha Agora and I come to this. I am not quite awake, and mid sip of my coffee! The coffee went one way and I was laughing out loud, choking, but laughing. We interpret things so differently, for Stargazer was referring to Trojan boats, and my perverse mind thought he meant these kinds of Trojans. M. Henri Day's following comment of
wicked only seemed to cement the idea in my head.

Regardless...both examples work, and happiness is a Trojan that doesn't leak, be it a boat or otherwise!

Thank you for the laugh, what a way to start the day!
Then that lexical land mine fulfilled its purpose. :twisted:
I'll have a double-entendre on the rocks!
Yes, indeed, I almost killed someone once by delivering the punchline of the Fugawee Indian joke when he was in mid-sip! The timing really was purely accidental; I wasn't watching him.

My 25' single screw ( :wink: ) '72 Trojan is in this picture. It's the next-to-last one out, with doubled lines (black and white), just this side of the blue-hulled sailboat. Note the height of the deck above the pilings the lines are attached to. That's at least three or four feet above the tops of the pilings. This was taken about 11:00 am on Friday, September 19, 2003, after Hurricane Isabel came through. High tide was about 2:00 or 3:00 am that morning (I was sound asleep!), so this is just about low tide after the storm. You can see that the high-water mark on the pilings is about a foot or so above the current water level. During normal tides, the tops of those pilings are 2 to 4 feet above the deck! The normal tidal range here is about 1 to 2 feet, no more than three feet, but with the wind blowing the water across the bay and up the river it was a good 6 to 8 feet above normal.

Other pictures are here. In some of those you'll see some shed-roofed structures that seem to be built in the middle of the water. They are actually built on telephone poles at the edge of the bulkhead at the normal water's edge. You can see the high-water mark on them even better than you can see it on the pilings. They house the electric meters for the dockside power at each slip.
Regards//Larry

Return to “Res Diversae”