Thought Shower, Deferred Success, and Misguided Criminals

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
William
Junior Lexiterian

Postby William » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:21 pm

Don't mess with me!
Hmmm. BD, didn't I hear some guy named Chavez, who I think might be one of your neighbors, recently say something like that to another guy named Fox?

William

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:24 pm

It's running amok in Latin America, didn't you know?

Brazilian dude, don't mess with me, I have a gun.
Languages rule!

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:11 pm

I'll say Merry Christmas, Feliz Natal, Feliz Navidad, and so on to my heart's content. If you don't celebrate it, just turn a deaf ear and leave me alone. You're as much entitled to your holidays and stuff as I am to mine, so don't trespass.

Don't mess with me!

Brazilian dude
I agree,and don't mess with me! BEHOLD; I'm a webmaster I carry a sword.

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:21 pm

That's the attitude, BD!

I say "Merry Christmas" as the default greeting, because that's what on my mind. Of course, if I know that someone is Jewish, Pagan, Muslim or Atheist, I don't deliberately use "Merry Christmas."

I might say, "Happy Hanukkah" to a religious Jew, but I don't say "Happy Winter Solstice" to Pagans, or "Happy Winter Mini-vacation" to Atheists. I have said "Happy Ramadan" to Turks before, but they didn't find it appropriate, to say the least.

I find "Happy Holidays" insipid, generic and offensive in its lack of commitment.

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

William
Junior Lexiterian

Postby William » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:46 pm

I carry a sword.
Yeah, I know this is an old one, even paraphrased, but, I can't resist

Never bring a sword to a gun fight!

William

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:01 pm

ah, William it all depends on how good a swordsman one is.

Kt
(cuts to the chase)

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:34 pm

If I know the person's preferred greeting, I'll try to use it. If I don't know it, I'll use one of my preferred and hope they respond civilly, even if theirs is different. I think I would raise my eyebrows if the other person loudly, agressively and belligerently insisted that everyone use his or hers, exclusively, or maybe even none at all. It rather undermines the purpose, I think. And I use "Happy Holidays" quite cheerfully because there are quite a lot of them during the winter months, and because there are many different cultures and religions represented in my family and close friends, all of which have joyous celebrations at this time.
-gailr

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:50 am

. . . You're as much entitled to your holidays and stuff as I am to mine, so don't trespass.

Don't mess with me!

Brazilian dude
Messrs. Culpepper and Gadsden, from our Revolutionary period, had flags to match your sentiments. The British always found their Colonies revolting. Small wonder. Many others still find us revolting to this day. 8)

(Images from http://www.historyimages.com/ )

(Hmmm, that might make a nice Avatar for someone . . . )
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:38 pm

Unfortunately, Larry, when one clicks on the links you provided, one comes to the website of www.directnicparking.com, which is «under construction» and seems unable at present to show any pictures, whether of snakes or whatever. But those longing to see an authentic «Don't tread on me» might want to take a look here....

Henri

PS : You stay off my toes, I'll stay off yours....
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:40 pm

That snake picture to the bespectacled eye does look like a pile of excrementus.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:44 pm

So that's why caution is recommended to the viewer ! Thanks, BD ; you've got a sharp - if bespectacled - eye there !...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

William
Junior Lexiterian

Postby William » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:57 pm

Many others still find us revolting to this day.
That's because they think they know us, but really, they don't. And it's their loss anyway.

William

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:51 pm

Unfortunately, Larry, when one clicks on the links you provided, one comes to the website of www.directnicparking.com, which is «under construction» and seems unable at present to show any pictures, whether of snakes or whatever. But those longing to see an authentic «Don't tread on me» might want to take a look here....

Henri

PS : You stay off my toes, I'll stay off yours....
Hmmm. The site said to reference the home page when using the images. I guess I'll have to copy them to my own web page and re-link to them. They must have a check to see the calling page and if it isn't one of their own, dump it to the parking page to cut down on bandwith hijacking. Oh, well, it worked when I did a preview before posting.

See if you can hit their clip art page:

http://www.historyimages.com/flag/early/clipart.html

I'll try to patch it up later this evening when I get home.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:13 pm

The picture was a broken-link image icon, but if I right-clicked the icon and chose View image from my browser, it opened in a new window just fine... weird.

And the link to the site (historyimages.com) worked just fine for me, too.

-Tim

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:54 pm

When I saw this topic's title today it occurred to me that "thought shower" could also be the newer, more streamlined form of "brainwashing".

Return to “Res Diversae”