Thought Shower, Deferred Success, and Misguided Criminals

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:01 am

Hmm... That would more likely be a thought rinsing, wouldn't it? ;)

-Tim
...or maybe a thought spot blotting... ok, that's beginning to sound a little too much like a Dr. Seuss rhyme.

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:06 am

Brazilian dude, don't mess with me, I have a gun.
BD, exactly what did señor Chavez say to señor Fox in Spanish ? I'm thinking that the phrase might come in handy some time - especially if one could simultaneously display one's literary credentials by appending «as señor Chavez said to señor Fox»....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:52 pm

I don't know. But I'll see if I can track it down.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:00 pm

Venezuela y México se encuentran en medio de una crisis diplomática después de que el presidente venezolano, Hugo Chávez, calificó a su homólogo mexicano de "cachorro del imperio".
Venezuela and Mexico meet in the middle of a diplomatic crisis after the Venezuelan President, Hugo Chávez, called his Mexican counterpart "puppy of the empire".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/spanish/latin_ ... 427968.stm
Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:37 pm

Venezuela y México se encuentran en medio de una crisis diplomática después de que el presidente venezolano, Hugo Chávez, calificó a su homólogo mexicano de "cachorro del imperio".
Venezuela and Mexico meet in the middle of a diplomatic crisis after the Venezuelan President, Hugo Chávez, called his Mexican counterpart "puppy of the empire".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/spanish/latin_ ... 427968.stm
Brazilian dude
And I suppose Chavez is the puppet of the former puppet?
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:03 pm

Well, he may be alot of things, but at least he brings some dignity to his office:
“The government of President Chavez has demonstrated during the past few years a great lack of respect towards women. The worst repression against the marches centered on women; military officers used gestures and obscene language against the women who didn’t share their political ideas; and President Chavez himself, on Valentine’s day, sent his wife through television a vulgar sexual message. Today, during the event organized against “foreign intervention”, [President Chavez] sent several messages to Dr. Condoleeza Rice, insinuating that “Condolence’s” problem with him was sexual frustration. Furthermore, he consulted with the ‘his people’, to decide if by marrying her he would resolve it. When people screamed “No”, Chavez finished his joke saying, ‘Poor Condolence, she doesn’t know what she’s missing!’”
Racist and Sexist Sunday Sermon: The World According to Hugo Chavez
By Alexandra Beech

What charm! What discretion!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:24 pm

If I know the person's preferred greeting, I'll try to use it. If I don't know it, I'll use one of my preferred and hope they respond civilly, even if theirs is different. I think I would raise my eyebrows if the other person loudly, agressively and belligerently insisted that everyone use his or hers, exclusively, or maybe even none at all. It rather undermines the purpose, I think. And I use "Happy Holidays" quite cheerfully because there are quite a lot of them during the winter months, and because there are many different cultures and religions represented in my family and close friends, all of which have joyous celebrations at this time.
-gailr
When studying in India for a month, I tried to note people's religions to be able to use their correct phrase of greeting. Perhaps showing off to some extent, but you should see this Sikh when a clearly European foreigner saluted him traditionally in Panjabi, or how easy it was to get acquainted with this Moslem tailor when addressing him his way.

So, season's greetings to all of you.
Irren ist männlich

portokalos
Junior Lexiterian

Postby portokalos » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:14 am

Interesting articles, gailr. I remember learning in history classes that the Catholic Church as much as possible without violating their doctrines merged pagan holidays and some pagan customs with the Christian Holidays to make it easier to convert pagans to Christianity.

The correct is :Orthodox Catholic Church. NO realtion with today Catholic church.
"What is hell?" I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love.
Fyodor Dostoevsky-The Brothers Karamazov

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:59 pm

... "cachorro del imperio"
«Cachorro del imperio» isn't bad, but I was looking for the original of the «Don't mess with me» citation....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

William
Junior Lexiterian

Postby William » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:02 pm

Venezuela y México se encuentran en medio de una crisis diplomática después de que el presidente venezolano, Hugo Chávez, calificó a su homólogo mexicano de "cachorro del imperio.
How about "Venezuela and Mexico find themselves in the middle of a diplomatic crisis..."

Henri, I believe Mr. Chavez said something like "no se meta conmigo".

William

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:27 pm

I believe this article gives a good account of the exchange:

Chávez a Fox: "no se meta conmigo"
"No se meta conmigo caballero, porque sale espinao"
Although I can't say much for their punctuation!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:34 pm

El presidente venezolano le recitó una copla a Fox: "Yo soy como el espinito que en la sabana florea, le doy aroma al que pasa y espino al que me menea."
Very reminiscent of "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!"

Apo

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:22 pm

The Dictator of Caracas
Mr. Chávez's party or parties sympathetic to his Bolivarian revolution won all 167 seats in the country's unicameral congress. Every single seat. But that Saddam-like sweep was only possible because most Venezuelans decided not to participate. Even the government admits to an abstention rate of greater than 75%. While it's true the opposition boycotted, it did so knowing how the government had cheated to win the August 2004 recall referendum.
Apo

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:42 pm

El presidente venezolano le recitó una copla a Fox: "Yo soy como el espinito que en la sabana florea, le doy aroma al que pasa y espino al que me menea."
I agree, Apo, there is something reminiscent of Mohammed Ali at his best in this quote. Thanks for taking the trouble to find it !...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:01 pm

I agree, Apo, there is something reminiscent of Mohammed Ali at his best in this quote. Thanks for taking the trouble to find it !...

Henri
The Venezuelan president recited a song to him to Fox: "I am like the espinito that in the florea savannah, I give to aroma to him which passes and hawthorn to which she wags to me."
(Systranet translation)

I don't know; somehow, I think Ali was much more eloquent! :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Res Diversae”