Alphadictionary.com

Our Sponsors

Technical Translation
Website Translation Clip Art
 

Der Untergang des Abendlandes

Miscellaneous Other Topics.

Postby M. Henri Day » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:08 pm

Stargzer wrote:... The headlines touted the program's definition of nouns as "stuff" and verbs as "what stuff does." ...


Why the mirth ? I just wonder, Larry, how many of the headline-makers could come up with a first approximation to a definition of «noun» and «verb» more concise and easier to understand for elementary school children than the two proposed above. I can't, but then my mental deficiency is notorious....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:24 am
Location: Stockholm, SVERIGE

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:18 pm

M. Henri Day wrote:
Stargzer wrote:... The headlines touted the program's definition of nouns as "stuff" and verbs as "what stuff does." ...


Why the mirth ? I just wonder, Larry, how many of the headline-makers could come up with a first approximation to a definition of «noun» and «verb» more concise and easier to understand for elementary school children than the two proposed above. I can't, but then my mental deficiency is notorious....
Henri


For once we agree on something :wink: :lol:

Just kidding, you know . . .

The trouble is that from what I understand of the program, it's geared towards all middle-school students (grades 6, 7, and 8 ) , who should already know this stuff (word intended), and not towards the beginning readers in the early elementary years. Other parts of the program use "teen magazines" as reading material. One part of me says, "Hey, whatever gets them started reading instead of running drugs is OK with me." The other part says, "How did we come to this?"

I haven't looked into the details of the program since it doesn't directly affect me; I'm only reporting what I've heard on radio newscasts while commuting to and from work.

I'm the product of Catholic parochial elementary, private Catholic high school, and private Catholic college education; my wife is the product of public schools and university. Both of my daughters went to public schools in a country that borders Baltimore City. One received a full tuition scholarship to a local state university, graduating magna cum laude with a degree in Theater Arts and a Minor in Spansh, with membership in the Theater and Spanish Honors Societies. The younger is still in college, and received a grant and some financial aid to a small out-of-state college. She eventually transferred back to the same university as her sister so she could pursue a degree in Electronic Media and Film, which was not offered at her original school. She's doing fine there. This switch in major, combined with a possible second major, puts her on the "five year plan," do the detriment of my finances.

Why the difference in outcomes between the two school systems? I won't even start to venture an opinion. Mind you, the City does have magnet schools, or at least one that is technical (i. e., science/enginerring oriented) in nature. But how does one explain the widespread need for such an obviously remedial program? There is no mirth involved in that answer. The Mayor may be running for Governor next election; I may have to hold my nose and vote Republican again in that particular contest (instead of holding my nose and voting Democratic as usual). :cry:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
Stargzer
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2551
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD

Postby M. Henri Day » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:27 pm

Stargzer wrote:...

I'm the product of Catholic parochial elementary, private Catholic high school, and private Catholic college education; my wife is the product of public schools and university. Both of my daughters went to public schools in a country that borders Baltimore City. One received a full tuition scholarship to a local state university, graduating magna cum laude with a degree in Theater Arts and a Minor in Spansh, with membership in the Theater and Spanish Honors Societies. The younger is still in college, and received a grant and some financial aid to a small out-of-state college. She eventually transferred back to the same university as her sister so she could pursue a degree in Electronic Media and Film, which was not offered at her original school. She's doing fine there. This switch in major, combined with a possible second major, puts her on the "five year plan," do the detriment of my finances.

Why the difference in outcomes between the two school systems? ... :cry:


Larry, again my mental deficiency makes itself obvious (glad, by the way, that we agree on something !) - to what are you referring when you ask about «the difference in outcomes between the two school systems» ? You were educated in a parochial system, your wife and daughters in the public schools. Judging from what you post to the Agora, you haven't been irreparably harmed by your experiences ; neither, it would seem, have your two daughters. You don't say too much about your public-school educated wife other than that she's been to university ; surely you're don't intend to imply that she's not turned out well as well ? So again, what differences ? Perhaps you could explain in words of one syllable or less to an old «stuffer» like me ?...

Henri

PS : Mere speculation, but I wonder if one of the problems that confront all school systems today is not simply that school is vastly less important in a child's scheme of things than was the case back in prehistoric times when yours truly had the pleasure. Even those who, as the Norwegians say, were not the sharpest knife in the drawer took school seriously - it was the only game in town ! Now, however, ...
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:24 am
Location: Stockholm, SVERIGE

Postby Stargzer » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:45 am

I was lamenting a different difference: the difference between two contemporary systems -- the public school system in my suburban county (and other suburban counties) versus the public school system in Baltimore City, the latter of which seems to have the need to dumb down the definitions of noun and verb for all middle school students.

My wife has a degree in Early Childhoon Education, and has taught Day Care, Pre-School, and Kindergarten. Actually, in her first job, she had to write a curriculum for a combined Grades 1 to 3 program at a small private school when they added that to the normal Day Care and Pre School they had.


"You want fries with that?"
-- Jaime A. Escalante to his students in the movie "Stand and Deliver"
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
Stargzer
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2551
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:17 pm

Stargzer wrote:... the difference between two contemporary systems -- the public school system in my suburban county (and other suburban counties) versus the public school system in Baltimore City, the latter of which seems to have the need to dumb down the definitions of noun and verb for all middle school students.

...


Sorry, Larry, sometimes it's hard for foreigners like me to keep up with the local background. But given that the public school system in Baltimore City seems to be failing its students - I don't think I'm misinterpreting you by drawing this conclusion - it would be interesting to hear what you (and if you can persuade her to comment, your wife) think should be done....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:24 am
Location: Stockholm, SVERIGE

Postby tcward » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Both of my daughters went to public schools in a country that borders Baltimore City.


What country would that be, Larry? ;)

-Tim
User avatar
tcward
Senior Lexiterian
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:18 pm
Location: The Old North State

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:16 pm

That would be the US, Tim, the same country that borders Charlotte.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
Stargzer
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2551
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD

Postby KatyBr » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:04 am

Tim, I guess he didn't see the R he typed in 'county', 'sok tho' I think you're funny.:)

Kt
KatyBr
Senior Lexiterian
 
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:28 pm

Postby tcward » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:02 am

First I thought he was making some comment about the character of the District of Columbia...

Whenever anyone asks me if I've ever been out of the country, I always answer, "Only in high school, when my class went to New York City..."

Usually, they don't immediately get it.

-Tim
User avatar
tcward
Senior Lexiterian
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:18 pm
Location: The Old North State

Postby KatyBr » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:30 am

Tim, I'm pretty sure I know exactly what you mean, I was there once, that was enough.

Kt
KatyBr
Senior Lexiterian
 
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:28 pm

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:12 pm

DC borders PG (Prince Georges, or Prince Gorgeous, county) and Montgomery county in Maryland and a couple of Virginia counties across the Potomac River. Baltimore (Bawlamer) City is borderd by Baltimore County and Anne Arundel (Annarunnel) County.

For another county, try going West to San Francisco or Los(t) Angeles (La-La Land). I spent a week touring Ontario and Quebec way back when they pumped gas in Imperial Gallons instead of liters. Ontario was the first place I ever saw Right-Turn-On-Red.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
Stargzer
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2551
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD

Postby KatyBr » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:48 pm

Most States now have 'right-turn-on-red' don't they?

Kt
California: where they are all in a hurry to go nowhere and do nothing.
KatyBr
Senior Lexiterian
 
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:28 pm

Postby Stargzer » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:38 am

Yes, but this was 1970 . . .
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
Stargzer
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2551
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD

Postby Andrew Dalby » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:13 pm

KatyBr wrote:Most States now have 'right-turn-on-red' don't they?

Kt
California: where they are all in a hurry to go nowhere and do nothing.


Don't try it when you drive in Europe, Kt
Andrew Dalby
Junior Lexiterian
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:18 am
Location: France

Postby Stargzer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:36 pm

Andrew Dalby wrote:
KatyBr wrote:Most States now have 'right-turn-on-red' don't they?

Kt
California: where they are all in a hurry to go nowhere and do nothing.


Don't try it when you drive in Europe, Kt


I think what he means is, when in Italy, don't stop. :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
Stargzer
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2551
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD

PreviousNext

Return to Res Diversae

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest