Learning english abroad

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Nic
Junior Lexiterian

Learning english abroad

Postby Nic » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi, my Name is Nic from Switzerland and I'm looking for a good english language school abroad, preffered in the countries England, Canada or USA.

If somebody could recommend me a nice language school in a nice city i would be very happy.

Before i come to a decision i would like to ask you for your experiences.

I'm looking forward to your answers.

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards,

Nic

Slava
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Learning english abroad

Postby Slava » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:00 pm

I suggest running a Web search for ESL/EFL schools in each country, or even a specific area if you know where you want to go.

Here's one site that looks interesting, as a way to find out what is out there: http://www.englishforum.com/00/schools/us/
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Nic
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Nic » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:28 pm

Thank you for your answer - i will check it.

PeggyNorton
Junior Lexiterian

Postby PeggyNorton » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:06 am

Tahnk you slava , i am also checking the same for my friend.

belly
Junior Lexiterian

Postby belly » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:29 am

Teaching English Abroad Life Outline? Hello, I am a sophomore in college at the University of Minnesota, and I am interested in teaching English abroad when I graduate from college. I feel this would be an awesome career for my 20s. phenq I want to see the world! I can't picture myself just sitting in a cubicle and knowing that's it... I would slowly die inside. I was thinking I could double major in English (for teaching abroad and to gain superb writing skills) and History (a huge passion of mine). I'd probably graduate in either 2014 or 2015, depending on how long it would take me to earn my diploma. Then I could take the TESL or CELTA or whatever I choose and spend around a decade traveling abroad to teach, spending every year in a different country. I'd gain so many experiences and REALLY SEE the world, while earning a salary. I am aware that teaching abroad won't be cushy, and I could be in poverty-striken areas at times. After a decade of this, I'd come back to the United States to settle down in my 30s and teach high school or grade school. Or, ideally, I was also thinking I could further my education by going to graduate school and earning a doctorate in History. Then I'd teach at a university here in America until I retire... or get hit by bus. Would the traveling experiences and double major make me a competitive candidate for graduate school or careers back home here in America after I "retire" from teaching abroad? I'm a good student. I work hard. I'm dedicated. I just don't want to be ordinary. Am I living in some fantasy world with all of this? Suggestions, stories, criticisms, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for listening,
Last edited by belly on Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

bnjtokyo
Junior Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:28 am

The site recommended by Slava, above, now appears to be fairly moribund. It now appears to be geared to students living in non-English speaking countries who would like to study English in a country where the principal language is English.

However, this site might be helpful
https://www.oxfordseminars.com/esl-schools-directory/

You choose a country from the pull down list, and you get a list of locations and then names, addresses and phone numbers. For more information you have to log in, but you'll have to explore that yourself.

Good luck and good hunting; you may find yourself never coming back.

Return to “Languages of the World”