MLA Language Map of the US

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
frank
Lexiterian

MLA Language Map of the US

Postby frank » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:40 pm

This might be interesting...

The MLA has updated its Language Map of the U.S. with county-by-county data for over 300 languages:

http://www.mla.org/census_main

Quote from the main page:
"The Modern Language Association Language Map
A Map of Languages in the United States

The MLA Language Map is intended for use by students, teachers, and anyone interested in learning about the linguistic and cultural composition of the United States. The MLA Language Map uses data from the 2000 United States census to display the locations and numbers of speakers of thirty languages and three groups of less commonly spoken languages in the United States. The census data are based on responses to the question, "Does this person speak a language other than English at home?" The Language Map illustrates the concentration of language speakers in zip codes and counties. The Data Center provides census data about over three hundred languages spoken in the United States, including actual numbers and percentages of speakers."

F

PS: It's a pity, though, that Chinese is treated as one language (block), without any further specifications (Cantonese, Mandarin, Hakka, ...)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:40 pm

This is quite interesting. Given the rants of some people about how Spanish is taking over, finding out that speakers of all languages other than English is only 18% was rather startling. Of course, it depends on the definition of speaker, but still and all....

Check out your area and see what's up.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:26 pm

Well they found the 40 people in Buncombe County that speak Yiddish, but seem to have missed we Hebrew speakers entirely (sigh).
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:32 pm

Well they found the 40 people in Buncombe County that speak Yiddish, but seem to have missed we Hebrew speakers entirely (sigh).
Well, perhaps it can get updated this year. We are having a census, last I knew. I wonder if, and how, they count languages and their speakers.

Speaking of which, I do believe I'll suggest "census" as a great good word.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Census: good word.

Our area is growing in Spanish speaking with a gusto.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Languages of the World”