Rosetta Stone

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
EZ2TALK
Junior Lexiterian

Rosetta Stone

Postby EZ2TALK » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:33 pm

Is there anyone here who can comment on the usefulness of the Rosetta Stone Language study programs? Has anyone used these? Are they worth the price?

Karen

J_22_M
Junior Lexiterian

Postby J_22_M » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:08 pm

Hi,

I use it for French, and would say that it's enjoyable and a good buy. However, it's much more worth it's price for the more rare/exotic languages, which one can usually not find a plethora of information on. If you're going for one of the major/common tongues, I'd invest in several smaller materials. That's just my 2 cents though.

Good luck on your work!

-J

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Rosetta Stone

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:01 pm

The Rosetta Stone is one of the best buys for self-study and it is true that the series covers a wide range of languages. It is based on a series of pictures with an expression in the target language. The pictures help you understand the sentences and it is very effective. That is why we carry their ad in such a prominent place on our website.

There are alternatives, though. In each of the language listings in our Language Dictionary section, there is a link to X Language Resources (Bookstore), e.g. "Dutch Language Resources" at http://www.alphadictionary.com/director ... nic/Dutch/ which leads to one of alphaDictionary's partners that offers a wide range of language study resources.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:12 am

I haven't tried the Rosetta Stone for any language. Yet.

For comparisons of study aids and tips for learning, you might find this site useful. You'll find discussions on the relative merits of the Stone and Assimil and others.
Irren ist männlich

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:45 pm

Ironic that some of the posts in this thread are partially obscured by an ad -for the Rosetta Stone!
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

EZ2TALK
Junior Lexiterian

Postby EZ2TALK » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:48 pm

I don't understand what is "ironic" about asking about an apparent sponsor. I was unfamiliar with this brand until I viewed it at this site. Since it is the intention of an ad to "sell their product". I wanted practical advise from anyone actually experienced with R/S.

Thank you Dr Goodword. I would have thought if my query was inappropriate it would have been deleted. I felt it was a legitimate question. I am interested in improving my Spanish skills and maybe widening my base of perhaps another language also.

As seen on another site's forum guide, but true not here, it is suggested that flaming or severe disapproval is the responsiblity of the author and not necessarily of the site administrator or webmaster. I do not INTEND to offend. 8)
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yeild to it-Oscar Wilde

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:46 pm

I don't understand what is "ironic" about asking about an apparent sponsor. I was unfamiliar with this brand until I viewed it at this site. Since it is the intention of an ad to "sell their product". I wanted practical advise from anyone actually experienced with R/S.

Thank you Dr Goodword. I would have thought if my query was inappropriate it would have been deleted. I felt it was a legitimate question. I am interested in improving my Spanish skills and maybe widening my base of perhaps another language also.

As seen on another site's forum guide, but true not here, it is suggested that flaming or severe disapproval is the responsiblity of the author and not necessarily of the site administrator or webmaster. I do not INTEND to offend. 8)
No no no, you misconstrue! Or I fail to explain. The irony I observed was that, while viewing this thread, reading the first several comments was interrupted by this rectanular box-ad that dropped down from the top right and obscured the text box, making them impossible to read in full. When one looks up to see who the offender is, it's Rosetta Stone. I thought that was ironic and I think your post is very a propos.

PS I just looked up, and it's still there. Is anyone else seeing this?

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:53 pm

... The irony I observed was that, while viewing this thread, reading the first several comments was interrupted by this rectanular box-ad that dropped down from the top right and obscured the text box, making them impossible to read in full. When one looks up to see who the offender is, it's Rosetta Stone. ... PS I just looked up, and it's still there. Is anyone else seeing this?
sluggo:
You are not insane. (This reassures you, does it not? :) ) As of very recently, when I view this site on a Mac the Rosetta ad completely fills the screen, obliterating all else when viewing any topic, requiring excessive scrolling to read anything. When I view this site on a PC, it is as reader-friendly as always. (Of course, if you're not on a Mac, I'm not sure what may be causing this for you...)

-gailr
being bi-puteral sometimes comes in handy

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:59 pm

And I can't see the left side of the page. The w in www.alphadictionary.com is not entirely visible.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:05 pm

... The irony I observed was that, while viewing this thread, reading the first several comments was interrupted by this rectanular box-ad that dropped down from the top right and obscured the text box, making them impossible to read in full. When one looks up to see who the offender is, it's Rosetta Stone. ... PS I just looked up, and it's still there. Is anyone else seeing this?
sluggo:
You are not insane. (This reassures you, does it not? :) ) As of very recently, when I view this site on a Mac the Rosetta ad completely fills the screen, obliterating all else when viewing any topic, requiring excessive scrolling to read anything. When I view this site on a PC, it is as reader-friendly as always. (Of course, if you're not on a Mac, I'm not sure what may be causing this for you...)

-gailr
being bi-puteral sometimes comes in handy
Sure does, though I'm not of the wealthy class that can afford Macs. I do see the obstreperous little box here in PCland, though it's not as big as Gail describes.

(and no, not being insane ain't reassuring (or do I overnegativise?)) :wink:

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:31 am

Hmmm. . . No problems here on XP w/IE 6.0 and the new Yahoo! toolbar. The only Rosetta Stone ad is at the top of the right-hand "Our Sponsor" column. No pop-ups. Something's going right in the MicroSloth world for a change . . .
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:36 pm

I have viewed on IE 6 and Firefox 1.5, and both display the ad on top of the forum text.

I think the issue is the width of the forum column, which seems to adjust wider as needed. In this particular thread, the column width is larger than in some other threads, which is causing it to spread into the ad territory to the right.

-Tim

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:38 pm

Ironically, I think the column adjusted itself wider to accomodate the link Dr G posted in his response earlier.

Possibly, changing the font/size used by the browser would affect the width of the column...

-Tim

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:48 pm

I have viewed on IE 6 and Firefox 1.5, and both display the ad on top of the forum text.

I think the issue is the width of the forum column, which seems to adjust wider as needed. In this particular thread, the column width is larger than in some other threads, which is causing it to spread into the ad territory to the right.

-Tim
When I shrink the window down the right side with the Sponsors Column disappears first, followed by the left side of the forum. I have the following options set on IE 6 so it will force Unicode for accented characters:

Tools/Internet Options/Accessibility/Ignore font styles on Web pages
Tools/Internet Options/Fonts/Language Script: Latin based
Tools/Internet Options/Fonts/Web page font: Arial Unicode MS
Tools/Internet Options/Fonts/Plain text font: Courier New
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

ashaffer
Site Admin

Ad Box Blocking Agora?

Postby ashaffer » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:11 pm

Hi,

I've noticed a lot of comments about the ad bar blocking the agora content. Which browsers are you using? (What resolution, and are you using large fonts?) We've tested the bar on Firefox (Linux and Windows), IE6, Opera and Safari (OS X 10.4's version). If the bar causes problems when you're viewing the agora, does it cause those same problems with the rest of the site? If you would be so kind as to send me a screenshot (My email address is in my profile) of what it looks like when it breaks, that would be super-good. :)

Thanks,

Andrew
Recursion is the root of computation since it trades description for time. - Alan Perlis

Return to “Languages of the World”