Esperanto, anyone?

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:36 pm

Here you can find a collection of links to conlangs, artificial languages, auxiliary languages, etc.
F
I had not heard of "D'ni" before and took a look at that one. I was enchanted to see that its alphabet is comprised of constanents and vowels.

I'll borrow a line from the Brazilian_dude here and say I don't know squat about this. But I'm guessing: the constanents are "stationary" sounds (and the vowels are...not?)...

-gailr

frank
Lexiterian

Postby frank » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:13 am

I had not heard of "D'ni" before and took a look at that one. I was enchanted to see that its alphabet is comprised of constanents and vowels.
I'll borrow a line from the Brazilian_dude here and say I don't know squat about this. But I'm guessing: the constanents are "stationary" sounds (and the vowels are...not?)...
What do you mean by "the consonants are stationary"? Like in Arabic, where you have roots as S_L_M (indicating a "basic meaning"), in which the _ can be filled out with a vowel/with vowels to produce actual words as SaLaM, iSLaM, ...?

F

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:47 am

Frank, look again. Gail was riffing on constanents.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

frank
Lexiterian

Postby frank » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:30 am

Oooooooooops, oh my... Lol.
:oops:

F

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:22 pm

F
That's O.K. Frank, I didn't get it at first either. :oops: gailr is elegantly constant in her subtlety :)
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:03 am

F
That's O.K. Frank, I didn't get it at first either. :oops: gailr is elegantly constant in her subtlety :)
- but constantly unsubtle in her elegance.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:35 am

F
- but constantly unsubtle in her elegance.
Silly :lol:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

malachai
Junior Lexiterian

Postby malachai » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:36 am

I have heard that there are people who speak Esperanto as a native language. Can anyone confirm this?

Return to “Languages of the World”