Websites and language learning

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
frank
Lexiterian

Websites and language learning

Postby frank » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:53 pm

Hi,

I'm kind of working on a few websites (Chinese for speakers of Dutch and vice versa), but i hardly have any experience with it. Neither with making courses in the first place (it's easier to come up with a list of faults in existing courses than to make a course oneself), nor with the technical aspects of making websites. So, i'm in the "play around" phase: trying things, looking for things, copying things, trying to get acquainted with dhtml, javascripts, etc.

Got a few questions:
- Is there anybody here who does use "internet language courses"? And why (not?)
- What do or would you expect from a web course?
I have the impression that quite some web courses are just like "paper courses", but on line. No added value...
- Do you have examples of extremely interesting courses, or extreme failures?

BTW, one of personal favourites is this Korean course.

Groetjes,

frank

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed May 19, 2010 8:01 pm

This is most likely a dead post, but I do have something to say about learning a language.

PRONUNCIATION!

Too many books I've seen, even English "weird words" dictionaries, don't provide a pronunciation guide.

I have a "teach yourself" text for Georgian, but without a native sound track to go with it, I'm afraid to use it. I'm sure I'll end up convincing myself I know how to say the word, only to find that I'm telling people to go do nasty things.

Sentence structure is another important one (word order, etc.), but my first order of business is how to say it correctly in the first place.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Languages of the World”