Aramaic language

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Garzo
Lexiterian

Aramaic language

Postby Garzo » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:57 am

On Monday 18th April 2005, Wikipedia, the world's largest encyclopedia, is featuring Aramaic language on its main page. I've put quite a lot effort into the article, and I thought I'd share it with you. Let me know what you think about it.

Fush bashlomo!

Garzo.
"Poetry is that which gets lost in translation" — Robert Frost

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:34 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I will print the pages out when I get to my office tomorrow morning. This is going to be a great reading.

Flam

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:09 pm

What a well written article, Garzo. It must feel really great to get all that knowledge down and organized for others to read!

Congratulations!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:40 pm

Garzo -- I am awe-struck!! (Awe-stricken??)

A truly impressive accomplishment!

-Tim

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:45 pm

I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but coming from Garzo I know it can only be something good.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:38 am

I'm amazed by the enormous effort. The result might be what I for years have been looking for.

At first glance, I find no mentioning of Suryoyo. I seem to remember a fellow student who didn't like the language name Turoyo, but I'll try to be back on that.

The dictionary published by our National Immigration and Naturalization Board is Svensk-turabdinskt lexikon/Leksiqon Swedoyo-Suryoyo.

There are sizable (As)Syrian communities in Sweden, especially in Södertälje just south of Stockholm. There are sometimes heated discussions on the difference, if any, between "Assyrians" and "Syrians"...
Irren ist männlich

Garzo
Lexiterian

Postby Garzo » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:23 am

Thank you all. Of course, as it's Wikipedia, a lot of others have been involved in getting it into shape too, and you can never tell what someone might do to the article between log-ins.

Suryoyo gets a mention in the Syriac language article. It is one of the ways of saying Syriac. Speakers of Turoyo often prefer to call their language Suryoyo or Suryoyo Swodayo, and call Classical Syriac Kthobonoyo. Considering that there are numerous dialects of Neo-Aramaic that call themselves Syriac and are not mutually comprehensible, the solution is to use Syriac to refer to classical Middle Syriac and to use more specific terms for modern dialects.

-- Garzo.
"Poetry is that which gets lost in translation" — Robert Frost

Ilka
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Ilka » Sat May 14, 2005 4:53 pm

I sent the link to a Hebrew-speaking friend who read it with great interest. He pointed out two additional links:

This one contains the New Testament in Aramaic and English in interlinear format: http://www.peshitta.org

Also http://www.assyrianlanguage.com for a lesson in Aramaic.

Ilka

emdee5
Junior Lexiterian

Aramaic

Postby emdee5 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:50 am

My sincere compliments for the article on Aramaic in Wikipedia. The number of highlighted words and phrases are legion. The geographic distribution where Aramic is to be found, the history of Aramaic, some 90 odd references the number of countries where Aramaic is spoken, the number of speakers of Aramaic, genetic classifications, and som 18 language codes, all of these attest to your enormous efforts and erudition.
emdee5
None at this time

Return to “Languages of the World”