Sad Coincidence

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Sad Coincidence

Postby Slava » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:56 pm

This is a real box of laundry detergent, not a prop. I took this picture on a trip to Tbilisi way back when. I'm told it means something like "snowy white" in the original language.

Does anyone have other such things?

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:17 pm

When Kia frist came to Israel, the marketers made it a point to have the cars called "kaya", because "ki" is vomit (the noun) in Hebrew.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:50 pm

BARF stands for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food, a type of balanced raw dog food that one either prepares from scratch or buys frozen from a reputable vendor.

We used to buy USDA Certified K9 Kraving from out dog's trainer, but storing 30 pounds of dog food took up a good bit of freezer space. We're using a fresh but cooked food now, so we only need to store a 6-pound chub in the 'fridge instead of 15 2-pounders in the freezer.

These foods are typically mostly meat (chicken, beef, turkey, bison, duck, mackeral, including organ meats but not brains), some veggies, and ground bone (for Calcium) rounded out with some mineral and vitamin supplements. No corn or cereals.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:34 am

True:
there is an animal husbandry store, here, where BARF can be
ordered. At least I assume so....there is a sign behind
the counter expressing thus.. Will have to ask next time
I'm there.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Languages of the World”