Whale song

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:50 pm

But I sense morality creeping into the whole argument here. This troubles me. If (and only if) an animal species scientifically is proven to have robust likelyhood of survival, then it should be up to individual cultures how to utilise them. ...
But this last sentence is not a scientific but a moral statement, containing as it does a «should». The question here is whether moral questions related to H sap sap's relations to animal species are to be dealt with at the international, at the national, at the regional, or at the local level. I don't think there exists a single level appropriate to our relations with all species, but as regards so unbounded species as the great whales, I find the global the only possible level....

鯨萬歲 !

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

KatyBr
Wordmaster

moral question

Postby KatyBr » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:55 pm

Henri wrote
don't think there exists a single level appropriate to our relations with all species, but as regards so unbounded species as the great whales, I find the global the only possible level....
and yet you boil Whales down to "cutlets"? I know it was Flam who used the term, but you say you've eaten them too?

Katy

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:58 pm

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa ! But, as a bard (not the bard !) once said, «that was in another country» and I was young and thoughtless, and had not yet realised that the world that seemed so boundless to me was, indeed, finite and exhaustable, as were the wonderful things in it. Whale meat is available in Norway - of course, only as a by-product of whaling done for «research purposes» (in the politico-military sphere, the corresponding term would be «collateral damage»), but I don't eat it....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:03 pm

hmmmmmmm

Katy

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:43 pm

I must confess that I have had whale as well. Not very exciting, though. I prefer bear, or still more, beef, mutton and chicken. However, when I owned an australian silky terrier, weighing in at 3.5 kg, I hesitated slightly before eating drumsticks, because those legs were so similar in size to the doggy hind legs...
鲸万岁, anyway.
Irren ist männlich

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:46 pm

I must confess that I haven't eaten whale meat for at least 15 years. 当今吾敢不啖其肉.
クジラ万歳、でもいいか。
Last edited by Flaminius on Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:48 pm

クジラ万歳、でもいいか。
Last edited by Flaminius on Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:04 pm

クジラ万歳、でもいいか。

Is my concession properly shown?

Edit: Laugh at my meticulousness but I corrected all the three posts.
Last edited by Flaminius on Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:48 am

Copied the ?'s to Word, tried different fonts, no go.

And it must be some 40 years ago for me. I haven't been searching, but I haven't noticed whale products in shops since something like the sixties.
Irren ist männlich

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:52 am

Flam,
Since you apologised three times I won't tell Greenpeace, tee hee hee.

Katy
I like Elk best, moose is great too but they are far from endangered here.

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:59 pm

... ?????????.
?????????????
Flam, now you've got me really intrigued ! Just what form did your «concession» take ? Has our Dr Goodword «improved» the censor on this forum, so that it now censors Japanese and Chinese graphs, in addition to bowdlerising English phrases ?...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:29 pm

I have to go back to my Think Pad (strange! the mountain goes to the Prophet, not him to the mountain) to give my intended answer. If you can put up with a less satisfactory substitute till Monday, here it is;

tookon ware aete sono niku-o kurawa-zu.
kujira banzai demo iika.

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:21 am

クジラ万歳、でもいいか。

Having seen it in a more adequate orthographical representation (and three times, at that !), I'm sure the whales (known for their love of 漢文 !) have accepted your declaration of «no harmful intent» - to which I ask to be allowed to append my own....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:23 am

It puts me in mind of the cow offereing it's choicest steaks in The Restaurant at the end of the Universe

Katy

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:23 pm

There's quite another view from cows at http://www.picz.ru/2/7/244.html, stolen from my favourite cartoonist, Larson.

Warning! If you check out that site, there are lots of crude pix, doublets, several links not suited for Sunday school, and a host of other lovely joking pictures. If you read Russian, all the better. Clicking the button to the right of the box "5 cek" will start a slide show, if you've chosen a category to the left.
Irren ist männlich

Return to “Languages of the World”