More from the Language of Advertisers

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Palewriter
Lexiterian

Re: More from the Language of Advertisers

Postby Palewriter » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:24 am

Where, oh where is Palewriter when you need an advertising person for a whipping boy? :lol:

. . .
OK, so now I'm back. :D

What do Chinese people call Chinese Food? Food.

While I'd love to do so, I really can't take responsibility for all (or even half) the crap that washes over us all in the name of Advertising. Actually, my personal contribution is about 0.000001%. Don't count, Stargeezer, I've checked.

As an advertising whore, I have to admit, though, that Hyperbole is my dark friend. I'm secretly fond of Litotes, too. Once, I got Zeugma in tears and a taxi, but she simply blew me off, the hussy.

What can I say except CALL NOW. OFFER ENDS IN TEN MINUTES. DON'T MISS THIS ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY. CALL IN THE NEXT FIVE MINUTES AND WE'LL GIVE YOU THIS FREE.....

Grrrr. Heh.

- PW

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:27 am

Where, oh where is Palewriter when you need an advertising person for a whipping boy? :lol:

. . .
OK, so now I'm back. :D

While I'd love to do so, I really can't take responsibility for all (or even half) the crap that washes over us all in the name of Advertising. Actually, my personal contribution is about 0.000001%. Don't count, Stargeezer, I've checked.

. . .

Grrrr. Heh.

- PW
Welcome back; you were sorely missed. And I'll bet you wish you were the one who created the AFLAC duck, and are glad you weren't the one who switched ad agencies for Taco Bell. I can't remember what their commercials are like since they dumped the dog. :) Now then, Burger King, with their stackers, is beckoning me to come out for a try.

(Side note: at one BK they have this sign on the door: "You can have it your way, but if you want to get through this door you'll have to pull, not push." I really appreciate a good sense of humor.)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:11 pm

Well said.

The most disturbing tv ad I've seen lately features a local car dealer in a superman-esque outfit, complete with whipping cape, ranting about the super deals they're offering for a limited time only. Thank god he is filmed from his waistal area up. Is there a special clinic these people go to to have their shame removed before they get into the car advertising biz?

-gailr

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:52 am

Just remember that if there hadn't been haricots verts, we wouldn't have zydeco.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:45 pm

One of my favorite advertising lines is found in many ads...
"If it didn't work, we couldn't make this claim!"

Oh, really? OK!!

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:05 pm

One of my favorite advertising lines is found in many ads...
"If it didn't work, we couldn't make this claim!"

Oh, really? OK!!

Here's one of my favorites:

"...kills 99% of all household germs and takes the other 1% prisoner..."

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:21 pm

Well said.

The most disturbing tv ad I've seen lately features a local car dealer in a superman-esque outfit, complete with whipping cape, ranting about the super deals they're offering for a limited time only. Thank god he is filmed from his waistal area up. Is there a special clinic these people go to to have their shame removed before they get into the car advertising biz?

-gailr
I don't own a TV set. Knowing myself. I'm afraid that such a thing would unnecessarily steal time form my earning money and/or studying languages.

Anyway, from hints in my morning paper, I've understood that a mobile phone co. features a midget in Superman attire in their ads. The name of the guy seems to be Bill. So, the pitch is "The company that brings you small Bills". Yecch, to quote Mad magazine.
Irren ist männlich

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:29 pm

Around the Asheville area, we have Jim Barkley of Jim Barkley Toyota doing his own TV spots. In a case of masterful dissemblence, he explains that, "you will never see a Jim Barkley Toyata ad in the papers because with the money we save by not doing print ads we can pass on the savings to you".

So if I go to buy a Toyota from him, will the TV station give me the money tacked onto the price tag to cover the cost of the producing and broadcasting the TV spots? Pa-leez!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:20 pm

I believe TV spots are the most expensive, if he does his own spots he is saving real cash tho'.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:25 pm

Doing his own, as in being his own talking head. It must still cost plenty to broadcast.
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:28 pm

Doing his own, as in being his own talking head. It must still cost plenty to broadcast.
He's probably also eliminating the MadAve company, the actors, script and of course any demographic surveys as well, but still it's pricey.

mark

kb

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:48 pm

He's probably also eliminating the MadAve company, the actors, script and of course any demographic surveys as well, but still it's pricey.

mark
Exactly. He's probably saving about 5% of the cost of a decent commercial. But he's passing the savings on to you, so I guess we just have to put up with that crap. :x
--PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:03 am

He who represents himself has a fool for a lawyer.
Or an advertising agent.

-gailr

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:23 am

Bailey,

Your avatar is frightening the children!! :shock:

I got one of those Jack-in-the-boxes for my second birthday. My father turned the crank while my mother took the picture then my grandfather had to change my pants and I have been in therapy ever since... :twisted: I think this is why I am an only child.

Funny thing is, my husband went through the same thing on his second birthday, only there is no hope for him...
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:15 am

children? I thought we had to be 13 to post here?

mark

kb

Return to “Languages of the World”