More from the Language of Advertisers

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:47 pm

O.k. Now I've seen it all. In next weeks issue of T.V. Guide, there is a short article about how CBS will be inprinting show "logos and slogans on more than 35 million eggs in supermarkets starting this fall" complete with, of course, our favorite thing around here, taglines! This reaches an all new low. So, I wonder: if my Hotmail account is free due to advertising poping up all over the place when I open my e-mail, will the eggs be free as well? I don't think this will be all it's cracked up to be. I think some advertising exect's. brain must be fried or something. This is just to eggstraordinary. But, I must give said ad exec. a grade "A" :roll: for originality.
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:22 pm

Advertising is so ubiquitous that much of it doesn't register. I'm old enough to still remember being rather puzzled when "designer" jeans, clothes, etc., began becoming so popular with their logos so prominently displayed.
I wouldn't wear that type of stuff. (I'm such a fashion horse, I know!) I always figured they should pay me to help advertise their product.
One "designer" item I used to wear--remember the "Le Croak" shirt, the response to the Le Coste polo shirt so popular in the '70s? Instead of the little alligator on the upper left chest, it had an upside down dead alligator. I kind of liked that one!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:39 pm

I've always wondered why people choose to advertise on their chests (t-shirts). Wearing someone's face or a company's logo or other adverts should be compensated. It ain't fittin'.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:41 pm

O.k. Now I've seen it all. In next weeks issue of T.V. Guide, there is a short article about how CBS will be inprinting show "logos and slogans on more than 35 million eggs in supermarkets starting this fall" complete with, of course, our favorite thing around here, taglines! This reaches an all new low. So, I wonder: if my Hotmail account is free due to advertising poping up all over the place when I open my e-mail, will the eggs be free as well? I don't think this will be all it's cracked up to be. I think some advertising exect's. brain must be fried or something. This is just to eggstraordinary. But, I must give said ad exec. a grade "A" :roll: for originality.
Or at least a fertile mind, but it's a cruel yoke to be assaulted (or peppered) with all that. Just another way of poaching our attention. Makes my blood boil, but omelette it go for now.

Skinny, I love the 'gator anti-ad! We need more stuff like this.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:25 pm

This type of advertising is easy to crack: don't shell out for it.
-gailr

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:11 pm

This is just awful, you are taking pot-shots at the elevated/enlightened profession of advertising. Egg-trocious? eggzachery!(ask Tim)

mark

kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:13 pm

Whoa Huny! Nice triskell! What a Celtoid!

btw are we in a competition for biggest avatar?

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:04 pm

Whoa Huny! Nice triskell! What a Celtoid!

btw are we in a competition for biggest avatar?
:lol: Thanks! After what stargazr and I went through to get it on here!! It was an immage I already had on my computer. It took two days, some back and forth with Gzr (BTW could not have done it without his expertise) and a lot of swear words- some I was not even aware I knew. I have a tattoo of this exact same image between my shoulder blades (I figured it would keep the Devil off my back- so to speak). :wink: I don't know why it is so big. It was smaller when I uploaded it. Oh well...This is my Celtic pride, what I am. Fitting avatar, huh? So, a big public thank you goes out to stargazr!!!
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

more poor ad copy

Postby sluggo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:45 pm

Heard on a local Mississippi TV ad:
"Our mission is service after the sale!"

-- unfortunately the ad is for a car dealership (oops).

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:59 am

This idea of a tag line campaign on eggs shows what happens when hard-boiled ad agencies go off half-cocked.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:27 pm

They probably just scrambled to put something together last minute... :wink:

-Tim

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:50 pm

They probably just scrambled to put something together last minute... :wink:

-Tim
Aw Tim, you always see the sunny-side but the yolk's on you.

mark-poached-upon Bailey

kb

Return to “Languages of the World”