Spanish grammar mistake

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:41 pm

c) Cuando el sujeto y el atributo son dos sustantivos que difieren en número, lo normal es establecer la concordancia con el elemento plural: «Mi infancia son recuerdos de un patio de Sevilla» (Machado Campos [Esp. 1907-17] 491); «Todo eso son falacias» (Ott Dientes [Ven. 1999]); «La primera causa de regresión de la especie son las alteraciones de su hábitat» (DNavarra [Esp.] 20.5.99). No obstante, en algunos casos es posible establecer la concordancia también en singular, en especial cuando uno de los dos sustantivos tiene significado colectivo, o cuando, siendo un plural morfológico, se refiere a un concepto unitario: «Quienes desarrollaron la cultura de La Venta era gente de habla maya» (Ruz Mayas [Méx. 1981]); «El sueldo es tres mil dólares al mes» (Donoso Elefantes [Chile 1995]); «Las migas ruleras es un postre que se reserva para la cena» (Vergara Comer [Esp. 1981]).
Translation (just because I'm nice :) ):

When the subject and attribute are two nouns that differ in number, the normal thing is to establish agreement with the plural element: My childhood is memories of a Sevillan yard; All that is fallacies; The first cause for regression of the species is the alterations in its habitat. Nevertheless, in some cases it is also possible to establish agreement also in singular, especially when one of the nouns has a collective meaning, or when, being a morphological plural, it refers to a unitary concept: Those who developed the culture of La Venta were people of Maya speech/tongue; The salary is three thousand dollars a month; The migas ruleras is a dessert that is reserved for dinner.

Of course the English examples don't make as much sense as the Spanish ones. Personally, I don't see es posible establecer la concordancia en singular as a rule, but as a tendency, especially in the cases discussed above. I for one don't like the sentence La gente son estudiantes, why not say (Ellos/Ellas) son estudiantes?

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

De donde sos vos?
Junior Lexiterian

Postby De donde sos vos? » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:38 pm

Thanks Brazilian dude!

I'm still confused though...

What do you think about these sentences:

En Davis, toda la gente es estudiantes.
En Davis, toda la gente son estudiantes.

En Davis, todo el mundo es estudiantes.
En Davis, todo el mundo son estudiantes.

:?:
Margaret

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:25 pm

I don't like any. I would say:

En Davis todos son estudiantes.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

De donde sos vos?
Junior Lexiterian

Thanks so much!

Postby De donde sos vos? » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:23 am

Brilliant!

Is it possible somehwere on this forum to have samples of my Spanish corrected?

My husband just accepts whatever I stammer out, no matter how bad, and won't offer any corrections or suggestions. It's driving me mad!

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:17 pm

Oh, if you want to write to me, I can help you. My e-mails are in my profile.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Return to “Languages of the World”