Panking Snow and Cleaning Snow

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
Davekent
Junior Lexiterian

Panking Snow and Cleaning Snow

Postby Davekent » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:31 am

Maybe this is an Upper Michigan/Northern Wisconsin/Minnesota thing---Anyone from snow country use or hear of these:

1. "I cleaned snow for two hours after that big storm the other day." (Meaning is "removed" snow, not "cleansed" the fallen snow)

2. "When I was done cleaning snow I PANKED (rhymes with Yanked) snow all around the foundation of the camp." Panking snow means to "pack" snow, especially using the back of a shovel.

---Oh, and a "camp" is a cottage, not a campsite or camping area.

Mama
Junior Lexiterian

Snow

Postby Mama » Thu May 11, 2006 8:49 am

Thank God I have never had to clean snow or pank snow. I have shoveled it some, and scraped it off my windshield, but that's about the extent of it. It sounds absolutely dreadful.

sneakerwearinPAnative
Junior Lexiterian

Postby sneakerwearinPAnative » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:53 pm

I have never panked or cleaned snow but have shoveled quite a bit in my life.

In another line of snow talk, when I lived in Pennsylvania, as snow was falling we would want to know if it was "laying" (accumulating). Now that I live in Ohio, here the question is if the snow is "sticking."

What other words are used to ask if snow is accumulating?

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:22 pm

Coming from snow country in northeastern Washington state, I never heard panking or cleaned. Shoveled it, packed it, plowed it, moved it, cursed it, but never panked it.

We didn't ask if it was laying, just how deep was it...

Haven't plowed or shoveled in years. Don't miss it either.

tcward
Wordmaster

Re: Panking Snow and Cleaning Snow

Postby tcward » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:12 am

Dave, I think you actually shed some light for me... The locals here in this area of North Carolina call a family-owned fish restaurant a fish camp...! I had thought all along that it was perhaps from the idea of setting up camp somewhere and fishing for your dinner, but now you have just said that in your area the locals refer to cottages as camps... hmmm...

-Tim

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:53 am

Dave, I think you actually shed some light for me... The locals here in this area of North Carolina call a family-owned fish restaurant a fish camp...! I had thought all along that it was perhaps from the idea of setting up camp somewhere and fishing for your dinner, but now you have just said that in your area the locals refer to cottages as camps... hmmm...

-Tim
There's an interesting one. NC and Michigan both? What word then do they have left for an actual camp?

Also I've always wondered at Jimmie Rodgers' lines:
I met his old gal Sadie
She said, 'have you seen my baby?'
I told her he was downtown in the camp.

- - In the Jailhouse Now version 2, 1930

...whereupon she ambles to the jailhouse only to be arrested herself. Seems there can be a lot going on in a camp.

I went camping once --it was intense. :roll:

PS (obligatory subject matter) Skin, I spent 12 yrs in New Orleans and I sure do miss snow :( .
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:58 pm

There's an interesting one. NC and Michigan both? What word then do they have left for an actual camp?
If you're "up nort" then you know about Deer Camp. Deer camp is an excuse for males to: arrive at the office unshaven for an entire month; stuff a duffel bag with some really heinous flannel shirts; take a road trip to another state (or, in Xtreme Camps, up into Canada, hey); and spend a week drinking beer around the campfire while talking smack. Unless something goes terribly wrong, the hunters return safely sans deer. The best part of deer camp is its counterpart for those left behind with the checkbook and the credit cards: "new shoes camp," "new clothes camp," "new jewelry camp." Yep, deer camp week offers a little something for everyone. :D

[digression] I wonder if we can expect to see herds of status SUVs festooned with deer carcasses migrating from the woods this fall? [/digression off]

-gailr
Last edited by gailr on Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:36 pm

Deer camp must the the same as elk camp...same activities, same results.
Could Jimmie Rodgers 1930 line about a camp been referring to a hobo camp, vagabond camp, homeless camp, Grapes of Wrath type camp? That's how I've always taken it.

Unless I've lost count, (third topic for this thread)--Sluggo, I do miss the snow. I miss the activities and fun we used to have in it, but I'm of an age now that I'd like to schedule it to arrive on chosen days, stay for a day or two, and then disappear. Of course, now I live where schools will close due to rumors of snow.
What cures me of deciding to move back where I grew up for 10 years, is to visit in the middle of January. 35 below and 7 feet on the ground usually cures that notion...I'm pleased to say I've never had to take my kids trick or treating in the snow!

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:40 pm

...drinking beer around the campfire while talking smack.
This is a new one on me (again). Sounds, like, totally hardcore, y'know?

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:49 pm

nah, you know just the boys, hanging out, being quite precise about their accomplishments past and future, all in truth of course.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:47 am

nah, you know just the boys, hanging out, being quite precise about their accomplishments past and future, all in truth of course.

mark
Ah. So it dassen't have anything to do with heroin...

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:10 am

It dassen't. Not in this case. Talking trash, telling tales, expounding, spreading wisdom, talkiing fishing, talkiing hunting, talking junk, exchanging ideas. Like Bailey said, being exactly precise.
There's no lying allowed in elk camp. No that's not true...

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:55 am

[digression] I wonder if we can expect to see herds of status SUVs festooned with deer carcasses migrating from the woods this fall? [/digression off]

-gailr
But, but, but, there's no place for a deer on an SUV, ya gottta have a "boat". If a deer can't precede you down the highway strapped all splayed out collecting road detritus on your hood what good is it to even shoot the darned thing ?

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:22 pm

But, but, but, there's no place for a deer on an SUV, ya gottta have a "boat". If a deer can't precede you down the highway strapped all splayed out collecting road detritus on your hood what good is it to even shoot the darned thing ?

mark
:lol: :lol: :lol:
-gailr

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:55 pm

-gailr

mark
Of curse! That's just commonly accepted deer prudence.

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”