Color hot fries the chicken (and other Chinese meals)

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
frank
Lexiterian

Color hot fries the chicken (and other Chinese meals)

Postby frank » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:14 am

One cowboy leg, waiter, one...

While surfing on this very active Chinese message board, i stumbled upon a collection of Chinese dishes and their English, erm, well, "translations". Some of them are quite funny, others rather kinky.

Reminds me in one or another way of a website i once found (and lost) about Chinese characters tattoes, which were rather hilarious.

Have fun.

Frank

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:23 am

I think the same restaurant is in my hometown...
I think I'd pass on most items...the drink called "The Last Kiss" sounds dangerous...
Most of these sound too much like "crunchy frog".!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:44 am

Too funny!

I didn't know that cows reacted so strongly to a fragrant spring onion sauce. It's nice that the bone in garlic is fragrant, but the strange flavor is a bit worrysome. I could go on; but I have fresh bulb lilycerlery west fruit in my eyes.

Gadzooks!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Spiff
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Spiff » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:48 am

A big bowl of miscellaneous germs? Is that another new program to decrease the population?
Spaceman Spiff

"The capacity for humankind to centralize its importance in the grand scheme of things is quite impressive."
- Tim Ward

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:12 am

Very funny, frank, I think double boiling a forest frog just might not be cooking it enough for me. I like my forest frog diced and broasted as well as boiled.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

anders
Lexiterian

Re: Color hot fries the chicken (and other Chinese meals)

Postby anders » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:32 pm

Reminds me in one or another way of a website i once found (and lost) about Chinese characters tattoes, which were rather hilarious.
BTW, before you laugh too much at the menu, consider the multimega worldwide known US company that proudly stated
Where available, you can get 24 hour service
ETA: THe one I'm looking for might be hidden somewhere at http://www.engrish.com
Irren ist männlich

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:52 pm

My work group orders Chinese takeout on paydays, so I forwarded the link on to them over my lunch hour. For the rest of the afternoon I heard muffled snorts, giggles and stage-whispered possibilities from all over the room. Our favorites seem to be from...further down the list than those referenced above.

My list of hilariously-named British food now takes second place to this menu. Thanks for the link, Frank.

-gailr

frank
Lexiterian

Re: Color hot pepper fries the chicken

Postby frank » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:03 pm

Try this site [now defunct] while I look for the one I have in mind.
Great!!!!!
While surfing that site, i came across the crazy-diarrhea story. I start to see a connection with the menu site...
[i'm so sorry, this is so low... but i couldn't resist it].
ETA: THe one I'm looking for might be hidden somewhere at http://www.engrish.com
I once came across that one... it's still superb (btw, today they serve "lettuce in pain").

Frank

PS: I shouldn't laugh with this too much. Once managed to say to a woman in Portugal, who was showing me around in her house, that she had a very nice /kuzinju/ (bum, little ass) instead of a nice /kuzinha/ (kitchen)...
Last edited by frank on Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:04 pm

Frank, this is the hilariousest reading since Louis d'Antin van Rooten's "Mots d'Heures: Gousses, Rames". As the saying goes, I laughed until I stopped, albeit with many tears. Somehow "burn the spring chicken" makes me think of GWB's "Make the pie higher!" quote...

Not only much verbage but quite a bit of violence:
Fresh bulb lilycelery west fruit in eyes
Fragrant spring onion sauce explodes cow, son
(this is 'way beyond cow-tipping).
Perhaps its tenor can be traced to drinks like Coca-coca (but withal Sankist -what's that, a decaf advocate?)

Best interline comment: do I order this or agree with it?
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

malachai
Junior Lexiterian

Pens

Postby malachai » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:55 pm

An Italian menu. It looks like they just ran the menu items through Babelfish... "penne all'arrabbiata" = "pens to the angry one".

Spiff
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Spiff » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:04 am

Frank, mijn moeder ging onlangs naar een Chinees restaurant in de buurt en bij het binnenkomen werd haar gevraagd: "Met look of zonder look?" Dit zorgde begrijpelijkerwijs voor enige consternatie, tot bleek dat het ging om "rokers of niet-rokers". :)
Spaceman Spiff

"The capacity for humankind to centralize its importance in the grand scheme of things is quite impressive."
- Tim Ward

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:04 am

Spiff, welcome back! Any chance that you will let the rest of the class in on the joke? :?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Spiff
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Spiff » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:04 am

I'm afraid the joke will be somewhat lost in translation.

My mother went to a Chinese restaurant lately and in stead of "smoker or non-smoker" ("rook"= smoke), the lady from the restaurant asked "with or without garlic" ("look"= garlic).
Spaceman Spiff

- Tim Ward

Return to “Languages of the World”