rambunctious

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

rambunctious

Postby Bailey » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:30 pm

ram·bunc·tious (rm-bngkshs)
adj.
Boisterous and disorderly.

[Probably alteration of robustious, rumbustious, from robust.]

ram·bunctious·ly adv.
ram·bunctious·ness n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
My step-daughter's children are 4 boys and one girl, the kids are mostly rambunctious.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: rambunctious

Postby sluggo » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:08 am

ram·bunc·tious (rm-bngkshs)
adj.
Boisterous and disorderly.

[Probably alteration of robustious, rumbustious, from robust.]

ram·bunctious·ly adv.
ram·bunctious·ness n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
My step-daughter's children are 4 boys and one girl, the kids are mostly rambunctious.

mark
Being boys I bet there's a chance they're occasionally rammy, a word that surprisingly I couldn't find in the AH dictionary, nor MW, nor our own on the side here. Gotta be related...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:44 am

I thought my first name was Rambunctious until I was 16 and they told my mom I had ADD.( I'm sorry,what were we talking about again?)
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:10 pm

I like to think of myself as boisterous in an orderly fashion. My young'uns are just plain garden variety rambunctious. I've been hoping the all of the Taekwondo we do will rein them in. Instead it just makes them stronger rambuctious children. :shock:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:25 pm

I like to think of myself as boisterous in an orderly fashion. My young'uns are just plain garden variety rambunctious. I've been hoping the all of the Taekwondo we do will rein them in. Instead it just makes them stronger rambuctious children. :shock:
It's kinda' like the Taekwondo made your young'uns rambunctious with a mission. :lol: Wish I'd of thought of that while I was still young and limber enough to get my leg above my head. Instead, my parents always thought I was a kid on a day pass from hell. What made things even worse, I was an only child. He-he-he. Now I can see clearly why my parents gave up after they had me.(..and Terri says to herself "my master plan has succeeded!") Oh,now,see, there goes the ADD again!! Focus,focus,focus... :roll:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:45 pm

A friend with an autistic child had him enrolled in a martial arts class to help him learn focus. He did very well in class, but reacted to a "no" at home one day by solemnly instructing his grandparents that they must bow to him and show respect.
-gailr

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:13 pm

But seriously folks...

I have seen a number of cases where Taekwondo has been very helpful to kids with ADHD or Asbergers Syndrome.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”