Flood

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Flood

Postby Bailey » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:31 pm

flood (fld)
n.
1. An overflowing of water onto land that is normally dry.
2. A flood tide.
3. An abundant flow or outpouring: received a flood of applications. See Synonyms at flow.
4. A floodlight, specifically a unit that produces a beam of intense light.
5. Flood In the Bible, the covering of the earth with water that occurred during the time of Noah.
v. flood·ed, flood·ing, floods
v.tr.
1. To cover or submerge with or as if with a flood; inundate: My desk is flooded with paper.
2. To fill with an abundance or an excess: flood the market with cheap goods.
v.intr.
1. To become inundated or submerged.
2. To pour forth; overflow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English flod, from Old English fld; see pleu- in Indo-European roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words AntonymsNoun 1. flood - the rising of a body of water and its overflowing onto normally dry land; "plains fertilized by annual inundations"
inundation, alluvion, deluge
geological phenomenon - a natural phenomenon involving the structure or composition of the earth
debacle - flooding caused by a tumultuous breakup of ice in a river during the spring or summer
flash flood, flashflood - a sudden local flood of great volume and short duration
2. flood - an overwhelming number or amount; "a flood of requests"; "a torrent of abuse"
deluge, inundation, torrent
good deal, great deal, hatful, lot, mickle, mint, muckle, peck, quite a little, slew, spate, tidy sum, wad, whole lot, whole slew, stack, raft, pile, plenty, mass, batch, heap, deal, flock, pot, mess, sight - (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent; "a batch of letters"; "a deal of trouble"; "a lot of money"; "he made a mint on the stock market"; "it must have cost plenty"
3. flood - light that is a source of artificial illumination having a broad beam; used in photography
flood lamp, floodlight, photoflood
light source, light - any device serving as a source of illumination; "he stopped the car and turned off the lights"
photographic equipment - equipment used by a photographer
I saw that the Dr. Goodword's Susqehanna is in flood stage, I fear it's gone beyond sussurrous. Which I found was already a goodword[shucky darn].

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Flood

Postby sluggo » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:41 pm

I saw that the Dr. Goodword's Susqehanna is in flood stage, I fear it's gone beyond sussurrous. Which I found was already a goodword[shucky darn].

mark
Very timely! Been meaning to remark that, to a person, the TV network nabobs have been pronouncing it SUS-kwe-HON-na but it's actually SUS-kwe-HANN-a (frontal A)
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”