carminative

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

carminative

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:36 am

: An agent that prevents or relieves flatulence (gas in the gastrointestinal tract) and, in infants, may help in the treatment of colic. The origin of the word "carminative" is particularly curious. It was borrowed from the French carminatif (masc.), carminative (fem.). Virtually all English-language dictionaries state that the French took the word from the Latin carminare, to card wool. However, a respected French dictionary Le Petit Robert indicates that carminare meant nettoyer, to cleanse. The confusion appears to stem from the fact that to card wool was to cleanse it. Thus, a carminative cleanses the bowels.
http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art ... ekey=24293

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: carminative

Postby Stargzer » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:46 pm

. . . However, a respected French dictionary Le Petit Robert indicates that carminare meant nettoyer, to cleanse. . . .
Let's hope we never need the services of "Victor, nettoyer," from the original version of La Femme Nikita.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:36 pm

Well, someone beat me to it. I was going to suggest this word, and here it is, though as yet untreated.

I had to look up the links stargzer posted. Appreciated both. I liked Reno in the totally dorky 1998 movie Godzilla.

By the way, in case you don't already know, Nikita is actually a Russian male name, as in Khrushchev. Sounds like an interesting flick, though.

Oh, and acting as a carminative is supposed to be one of the properties of cinnamon, as well as being a diaphoretic, a diuretic, and many other ics.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:40 pm

At first it struck me as peculiar--why would The Brazilian Dude offer for serious consideration the etymology of an anti-flatulent? I mean there are many more appealing words in the English language. Words about love. Words about joy. Words about women. Then it hit me. Cows. That's right, cows. Brazil has a whole s--t load of them. Only second behind India. And guess what? Cows pass gas. That's right, gas, and a lot of it. So much gas that it contributes to Global Warming. Maybe even more gas than the Marcellus Shale. (See http://www.tierramerica.net/2000/1126/acent.html for details.)
Now it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out what's going on here. Buy a bunch of stock in carminatives. Wait for the Brazilian government to wise up to the gas problem. Then make a bundle when they invest in anti-flatulents. And don't tell anyone I told you!

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:00 pm

Actually, I'm going for a carminative being something that forces the gas out, not eliminates it before it gets out. A kind of laxative for gas. Belch or break wind, not prevent one or the other.

However, if we go with the cow idea, California would be a good place to invest in, too. I gather there have been many discussions on cattle gas there.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”