Chaos

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Chaos

Postby sluggo » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:32 pm

. . . So, maybe It would behoove me to take my plain, boring uneducated self elsewhere.
Nah. I seem to recall being excoriated on the other board when I, after urging by another, made similar comments about the tone of said board.

Been there, done that, and now staying out of this bear-trap.

La plus ça change, la plus la même chose.
Larry's Links are good reading. They illustrate how easily a sensitive procedural matter such as this can degrade into divisiveness when it flies out of control. In such a moody question of balance, maintaining respect for each other's opinion and remembering that nobody is 100% right might be the tonic that keeps a board healthy.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

frank
Lexiterian

Postby frank » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:52 pm

Frank, I was unaware that ones educational (college) status was a prerequisite to become a member on this MB...[other stuff snipped]
Well, Hony, dude, ma'am -- i'm so sorry, i don't think i intended to say that that all. I think i only wrote about a balance between 'serious' stuff and witty stuff, just as most people who reacted to BD's initial post here.
Now, what's wrong with that? Apart from the fact that we apparantly define 'balance' in a different way. Big deal.

So, it's not about 'vile language', not about being 'bullied by an idiot' (thank you! and i start to wonder who's bullying who), nor about paranoia, Mark.

As for "college education", once again, since i don't have a clue about the American education system, i don't know what that is supposed to mean. I only now gathered that it seems to cost an awful lot of money and that not everybody is able to pay the fee, which makes me wonder about the US educational system, but that's another issue, i guess.

I don't think i even remotedly wanted to imply that anybody who doesn't have a US college degree (whatever that is) is too stupid for words.
Over here, a 'college' is a type of secundary school (between 12-18 years), a type of school most of my (older) relatives didn't even start. Who would i be to call them stupid?

If i'm not wrong, there is an English expression about 'all kind of fools' and 'make this message board go round', or something like that.
Well, i'm so sorry, but i'm the serious fool, the language annex linguistics bigot, who does like both wit and serieux. Up to you to decide which kind of fool you are.

Regards,

Frank
Last edited by frank on Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

frank
Lexiterian

Postby frank » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Wait up, Huny. I hate to presume to speak for Frank, but frankly I don't think that's what he meant.
By "showing their 'college education'" I infer that he's asking for a greater number of serious, thoughtful posts to balance our light ones, and at the same time alluding back to Perry's note about some previous parsimonious education snob who 'never missed a chance to tell us he had an education'. Which if I'm correct is pretty much the same point I was making.[my stress]
Sluggo, thank you.
That's pretty close to what i meant, including the allusion to Perry's post.
I too was never able to afford college so I know we get sensitive about that now and then, but I don't feel Frank was targeting us.Say, where's your triskell, lass?? {edit: it's back!}
Now, could somebody tell me please what 'college' in a US (?) context entails, plea-ea-ea-ea-se? :-).

Frank

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:18 pm

Frank,

In America the word college is often used as a catch-all for higher education. The correct use is for a specific school within a university. E.g. College of Liberal Arts, College of Business etc. A post-secondary school (post high school) institution of learning that gives out two-year associate degrees is called a junior college or community college.

Huny,

You really had to have been a visitor on the other Agora, at a specific point in time, to appreciate the illusion. Sorry that I stirred up a hornet's nest with those who are completely new. BTW, I have been cracking up my friends with your tagline!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:22 pm

...about the tone ...
can degrade into divisiveness ...In such a moody question of balance, maintaining respect for each other's opinion and remembering that nobody is 100% right might be the tonic that keeps a board healthy.{hear, Hear!}
Words like"degenerated","Chaos", "decadence", excuse me if I'm mistaken, and I am a lot, believe me, more often than you know, but I've always thought them was 'fightin' words, emotionally charged with a certain amount of denigration towards an opponent, so when directed at someone they become missiles. The adrenaline kicks in and the good ol' fight-or-flight factors in and that's where divisiveness happens, not by any means flagellating(no excoriation from me) gzer (who is firmly ensconced on the fence), :) his were just the words I chose, then sluggo's, whom I admire, oh yes!
mark
just saying.....
And I believe Huny is a Lady, and please don't leave Huny, we really need you here.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:46 pm

Say, where's your triskell, lass?? {edit: it's back!}
I think stargzer is trying to fix it for me. I still have a lot to learn when It comes to computers. If things work the way I plan, I will try to take classes at the local tech. college for computer science. I laready took the entrence exams, got 99% correct. Pretty good for having ADD and having been out of school since 1988. I was :shock: !!
Last edited by Huny on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:08 pm

Frank, I was unaware that ones educational (college) status was a prerequisite to become a member on this MB...[other stuff snipped]
Well, Hony, dude, ma'am -- i'm so sorry, i don't think i intended to say that that all. I think i only wrote about a balance between 'serious' stuff and witty stuff, just as most people who reacted to BD's initial post here.
Now, what's wrong with that? Apart from the fact that we apparantly define 'balance' in a different way. Big deal.

So, it's not about 'vile language', not about being 'bullied by an idiot' (thank you! and i start to wonder who's bullying who), nor about paranoia, Mark.

As for "college education", once again, since i don't have a clue about the American education system, i don't know what that is supposed to mean. I only now gathered that it seems to cost an awful lot of money and that not everybody is able to pay the fee, which makes me wonder about the US educational system, but that's another issue, i guess.

I don't think i even remotedly wanted to imply that anybody who doesn't have a US college degree (whatever that is) is too stupid for words.
Over here, a 'college' is a type of secundary school (between 12-18 years), a type of school most of my (older) relatives didn't even start. Who would i be to call them stupid?

If i'm not wrong, there is an English expression about 'all kind of fools' and 'make this message board go round', or something like that.
Well, i'm so sorry, but i'm the serious fool, the language annex linguistics bigot, who does like both wit and serieux. Up to you to decide which kind of fool you are.

Regards,

Frank
Frank, how funny! Huny says the vile language and bullying are things that happen on other sites, NOT here. It gets rough on other forums, they kind of remind me of my old neighborhood in California :shock: This is why I choose to be here, at the Alph Agor, instead of those other sleezy forums where thay can be a bit raunchy and vile. I hope I have cleared that up for you and that you now understand what I was trying to say. 8)

By the way, I am, in every term of the word, 100% woman, "Dude" is reserved for the very manly B.D. :wink:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:23 pm

Huny, the paranoia is all mine, you just reminded me of it.

mark
friends?

kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:49 am

BTW, I have been cracking up my friends with your tagline!
Huh? Wha..Oh you mean about engaging in overt activities with ones "relation" once the knot is tied? A little backround on this tagline: My newly wed husband and I embarked upon a journey to one of our old family plots within a graveyard with my very proper mother. To my mother's dismay, my redneck husband recognized some of his relations in with my relations within same said plot. Once he voiced his discovery, my mother simply and calmly looked at me (avoiding husbands eyes) and said, "Tell NO ONE what we have found here today". Then, shot my husband a cool look that implied, "you never know what will crawl out from the bottom of your family woodpile". Mouth agape, husband looked at her and said, "Wha? What's wrong? Wha just happened here?"

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:03 am

Huny, the paranoia is all mine, you just reminded me of it.

mark
friends?
:lol: Whew! Thank goodness! I had to read over all the posts again to be sure I wasn't losing my marbles. Then I found where it was and concluded that I was, indeed, innocent of the crime, this time. Gosh, I was adding up all the therapy bills in my head that I was about to incur, thinking that I did write it and had no knowledge of it. :shock: This is a good example of what happens when I listen to the Dixie Chicks while trying to post stuff. :wink:

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:47 pm

This is a good example of what happens when I listen to the Dixie Chicks while trying to post stuff.
Presumably, what happens is you hear good musicianship. Including Asheville's own Brian Sutton on guitars.

BTW, did you resize your avatar, or just find a new link with a smaller version of the picture?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:12 pm

To my mother's dismay, my redneck husband recognized some of his relations in with my relations within same said plot. Once he voiced his discovery, my mother simply and calmly looked at me (avoiding husbands eyes) and said, "Tell NO ONE what we have found here today". Then, shot my husband a cool look that implied, "you never know what will crawl out from the bottom of your family woodpile".
are you saying any resultant progeny of yours will be in the wading section of the gene pool?

mark
(J/K)I'm sure they were Kissing cousins.

kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:27 pm

This is a good example of what happens when I listen to the Dixie Chicks while trying to post stuff.
Presumably, what happens is you hear good musicianship. Including Asheville's own Brian Sutton on guitars.

BTW, did you resize your avatar, or just find a new link with a smaller version of the picture?
Got the D.C.'s new CD on my computer. I have ADD remember, hard for me to multitask sometimes. Distractions. :oops:
Stargzer shrunk the original version of the Trinity down to a smaller size, then I posted it back to my profile. I feel better about it now. It was kinda embarrassing, it being that big. But I'm proud of it. :D
Last edited by Huny on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:45 pm

. . .

Got the D.C.'s new CD on my computer. I have ADD remember, hard for me to multitask sometimes. Distractions.

. . . But I'm proud of it. :D
Ah, how we can edit someone's words! :wink: But we know what you really said, Huny. :)

But seriously, when my youngest daughter was in middle school, in the days before cable modems, I had a second phone line installed for the computer. One evening, there she was in the living room, talking on the phone, juggling three or more online AOL IM sessions, watching TV, and playing a music CD in the computer. . . .

. . . and be proud of your first foray into web-mastering! All journeys start with the first step, no matter how small.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:29 pm

Got the D.C.'s new CD on my computer. I have ADD remember, hard for me to multitask sometimes. Distractions. :oops:
Stargazr shrunk the original version of the Trinity down to a smaller size, then I posted it back to my profile. I feel better about it now. It was kinda embarrassing, it being that big. But I'm proud of it. :D
I quite liked the Monster Trinity. It was still smaller than Mark's Gargantuan Jack-in-the-Box. :D The new one is very tasteful, though.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Return to “Res Diversae”