Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:51 pm

(Stargzer decides to leave the pronunciation of this behemoth to the experts.)

So, here I was, sorta half-listening to a program about the Anti-Christ on the History Channel, when I decided to do a little Wikipedia wandering to see what it had to say about The Number of the Beast, 666. Among other things, I ran across this word:

Fear of the number 666.
A related word is Hexaphobia: fear of the number 6, either by itself or in a combination of 6's.

(Stargzer does not fear the number 6: he is #66 on the "Great Minds" plaque at the Rams Head Roadhouse, "forever immortalizing his commitment to fine beer.")
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Re: Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia

Postby Palewriter » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:17 pm

(Stargzer decides to leave the pronunciation of this behemoth to the experts.)

So, here I was, sorta half-listening to a program about the Anti-Christ on the History Channel, when I decided to do a little Wikipedia wandering to see what it had to say about The Number of the Beast, 666. Among other things, I ran across this word:

Fear of the number 666.

A related word is Hexaphobia: fear of the number 6, either by itself or in a combination of 6's.

(Stargzer does not fear the number 6: he is #66 on the "Great Minds" plaque at the Rams Head Roadhouse, "forever immortalizing his commitment to fine beer.")
What I need is a word for a fear of mathematics.

Possibly, too, I need a word for a fear of the History Channel. I find a direct corrolation between the rise in the popularity (not to say, ubiquity) of the "reality/constest" show and my watching of the Hitler Channel. If this trend continues (and it might), they might run out of old D-Day footage and I'll end up watching reruns of the Andy Griffiths show.

-- PW (who conquered his fear of beer...yes, he did)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:31 pm

Hmm. Quite an eye full, your word, stargzer. I have often wondered what Bill Gates' take on the Anti-Christ is :?: After all, he has spawned a few green-eyed monsters in his day. Something to think about...or not...and people in Hell want ice water. Sigh- Never mind. :roll:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:58 pm

Stargzer: in addition to Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia Fear of the number 666, this guy recognizes Demonophobia or Daemonophobia Fear of demons and Hadephobia Fear of hell.

Fear not, PW: Methyphobia Fear of alcohol. Interestingly, this list ignores the thousands (if not tens of thousands) suffering from the heartbreak of mathaphobia. If you apply yourself, I am confident that you will be able to diagnose many previously unrecognized fears.

Why not turn off the tv and peruse this list with a group of friends? Each round, each picks a fear. The one with the lamest fear is voted "off the couch". And has to go outside. Alone. In the dark. (Maybe you can leave some beer out there to comfort them.)

-gailr
not suffering from Sesquipedalophobia Fear of long words.

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:37 am

Stargzer: in addition to Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia Fear of the number 666, this guy recognizes Demonophobia or Daemonophobia Fear of demons and Hadephobia Fear of hell.

Fear not, PW: Methyphobia Fear of alcohol. Interestingly, this list ignores the thousands (if not tens of thousands) suffering from the heartbreak of mathaphobia. If you apply yourself, I am confident that you will be able to diagnose many previously unrecognized fears.
Well, after a glance, I'm certainly missing:

- fear of surprise visits by exes

- fear of offspring asking for money

- fear of neighbors wanting borrow powertools

- fear of TV evangelists (Hell would be a TV with no volume control, channel changer or off-switch)

- fear of people who say "hmm"

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:42 am

-- PW
And you have this fear because...?
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:49 am

-- PW
Hmm.

-- PW

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:58 am

-- PW
Hmm.

-- PW
Ugh! Men!! Always sidestepping the question! :wink: But I guess that's better than stepping ON the question, or just stepping in "it". ...Oh, never mind. I must be sleepwalking again.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:22 am

Well I see no one can turn their back on you maccaroons for a minute, here:
[quote=http://www.ojohaven.com/fun/phobias.html]fun with phobias[/url]
surely you will see yourself in one of these, for Neuroses are a gull's best friend!
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa.
They're coming to take me away, ho ho, he he, ha ha,
To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see those nice young
Men in their clean white coats and
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!
http://www.codehot.co.uk/lyrics/mnop/napoleonXIV.htm

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:55 am

Well I see no one can turn their back on you maccaroons for a minute, here:
fun with phobias[/url]
surely you will see yourself in one of these, for Neuroses are a gull's best friend!
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa.
They're coming to take me away, ho ho, he he, ha ha,
To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see those nice young
Men in their clean white coats and
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!
http://www.codehot.co.uk/lyrics/mnop/napoleonXIV.htm

mark
You forgot to mention the "I love me jacket" that comes complimenterri with a weeks stay at the funny farm. :twisted:

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:23 am

Bailey, they were actually coming for me. In a flash of quick thinking I sent them your way.
Last edited by Perry on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:43 am

Quick thinking Perry, I got away too, I've had my share of the jackets in industrial grey too.

mark never-wore-the -jacket,I-lied Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

uncronopio
Lexiterian

Re: Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia

Postby uncronopio » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:26 am

What I need is a word for a fear of mathematics.
The closest I have is arithmophobia: fear of numbers.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." -- Mark Twain

portokalos
Junior Lexiterian

Postby portokalos » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:18 am

To find the opposite words just replace the phobia with philia. I think that it’s the same extremes
"What is hell?" I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love.
Fyodor Dostoevsky-The Brothers Karamazov

margie sved
Junior Lexiterian

hexawhatever

Postby margie sved » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:43 pm

It should have been the word of choice on 6/6/06....

Is there such a thing as Hexaphilia, or does that sound too suggestive?

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”