AGGRAVATE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:06 am

I sometimes think that such bully pedagogues should be given the old heave-ho.
-- PW
are you talking bad about me again?

Mark I'm-not-as-mean-as-he-said-honest Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:08 am

I sometimes think that such bully pedagogues should be given the old heave-ho. Other times, though, I think they serve a certain purpose: to encourage youngsters to develop independent thought together with a healthy measure of iconoclasm.

The jury's still out.

-- PW
As I recall, the only thing Catholic school developed was quick reflexes, from dodging flying debris ejected from whatever the Penguin was using as a weapon at the time (often from behind). Encouragement was not ever a concept that was present; survival became the sole focus.

If one must find merit therin, I suppose it taught us to be survivors, but as for the jury we needn't keep waiting, they left a long time ago: Guilty As Sin.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:36 am

As I recall, the only thing Catholic school developed was quick reflexes, from dodging flying debris ejected from whatever the Penguin was using as a weapon at the time (often from behind). Encouragement was not ever a concept that was present; survival became the sole focus.

If one must find merit therin, I suppose it taught us to be survivors, but as for the jury we needn't keep waiting, they left a long time ago: Guilty As Sin.
How many kids from private schools suffered the tortures of the darned, but wouldn't change a thing now? This is our equivalent of war stories, and we throughly enjoy sharing them, whether aggravating, exacerbating or exaggerating.

-gailr

old catholic school children never die, they just go to ...

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:29 am

This is our equivalent of war stories, and we throughly enjoy sharing them, whether aggravating, exacerbating or exaggerating.
Well, I didn't go to Catholic School, but I did have to walk five miles to school and back. Uphill both ways, a$$deep in snow. Teachers would flog us with barbed wire for the slightest lapse in grammar, or simply to relieve the boredom. I once saw the Headmaster chew the leg off a boy from Remove for being unable to decline mensa.

Ah...the good old days.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:54 am

This is our equivalent of war stories, and we throughly enjoy sharing them, whether aggravating, exacerbating or exaggerating.
Well, I didn't go to Catholic School, but I did have to walk five miles to school and back. Uphill both ways, a$$deep in snow. Teachers would flog us with barbed wire for the slightest lapse in grammar, or simply to relieve the boredom. I once saw the Headmaster chew the leg off a boy from Remove for being unable to decline mensa.

Ah...the good old days.

-- PW
PW, those are my very own memories, how'd ya know? Especially the snow and the uphilledness.

mark abused-in-school-but-still-managed-to-get-edjamacated Bailey

kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:25 pm

Bailey, I axed you not to use my life story here in this forum. How could you? :lol:

Huny who-also-fell-throught-every-crack-in-the- deucational-system-that-was-possible-but-jumped-back-up-and-dusted-herself-off.
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:42 pm

oh but, but but.... Huny, I'm so sorry,

mark :oops:

kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:37 pm

Luxury.
We had to wake up ten o'clock at night (half an hour before we went to bed), drink a cup of sulfuric acid while begging permission to work 27 hours in a sweatshop and memorizing the Oxford English Dictionary, and when we got home our parents would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

(apologies to Eric Idle)

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:01 pm

One of my favorite bits, sluggo!

That's the signpost up ahead...your next stop...the thread topic: aggravate.
The Pythons turned aggravation to comedy.

-gailr

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:38 pm

-gailr
Personally, I never did like the Pythons that much. I remember watching their shows way back when and thinking, "this is a load of old bollocks..."

One or two classic sketches have since turned me into a partial fan, but for the most part....nope. Now, Faulty Towers.....

That about that.

This evening, my sweetheart made the comment, "it really aggravates me." (Context removed to protect the innocent). Should I have corrected her? Hell no. The statement makes perfect sense to me, as it would to any reasonable husband. :-) Also, I don't want to sleep on the couch tonight.

So here again is the choice between the proscriptive or the descriptive school of grammar. I'm firmly in the descriptive camp. Can you tell?

Aggravate = irritate...and that's that.

-- PW (desperately trying to stay on topic and off the couch)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:26 am

PW, you can't please everyone, and there will be times when we sleep on the couch, but we can keep some aggravation out of our lives by placating OR just the art of ignoring, one of my favorite ruses, but I must admit that plugging my ears and humming only makes me feel better, until I take my fingers out.

mark

kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:34 am

-gailr
Kewl site Gail :wink: Wonder if they transcribed the whole Travel Agency sketch...
Of curse we's been on topic right along- aggravated assault.

Two peanuts were walking down the street; one was assaulted.

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:56 am

PW, you can't please everyone, and there will be times when we sleep on the couch, but we can keep some aggravation out of our lives by placating OR just the art of ignoring, one of my favorite ruses, but I must admit that plugging my ears and humming only makes me feel better, until I take my fingers out.

mark
la-la-la-la-la

-- PW

Return to “Good Word Discussion”