The Ranks Of The AlphaAgora Reach Beastly Proportions!!

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:48 am

Thanks, I think... 8) The first two things that go when one becomes a senior is the mind and...I forgot the other!
Ah yes, the old adage: the memory is the second thing to go...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

portokalos
Junior Lexiterian

Postby portokalos » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:03 am

All we know that the number of 666 is written in Arabian way of numbering. Do we know that the number 666 is written in the gospel of John in the Hellenic way of numbering and is written as χξς΄?

John 13-18:18 Ωδε η σοφία εστιν· Ο έχων νούν ψηφισάτω τον αριθμόν του θηρίου· Αριθμός γαρ ανθρώπου εστί· και ο αριθμός αυτού χξς΄.
"What is hell?" I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love.
Fyodor Dostoevsky-The Brothers Karamazov

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:01 pm

Thank you, portokalos.

I've made the same point to a few acquaintances who like to scare themselves (and preferably others) with doomsday prophecies. You can always throw in the discrepancies between the Gregorian and Julian calendars (not to mention how they deviate from the Jewish calendar) to really liven up a dull afternoon...

In college I came across a writer who used the "Chaldean alphabet" to divine the "true meanings" of various English words--all derived from various language families, albeit none overtly "Chaldean". I found it to be an extremely creative and entertaining essay, but somewhat...lacking...in reason. The 666 mystique falls into the same camp.

Just my $6.66 worth.
-gailr

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:28 pm

Sounds like these folks are at least related to the same tin-foil hat people who see conspiracy everywhere.
Most things like 666 and black helicopters and 9/11 being a Zionist conspiracy are due to large amounts of ignorance, uneducation, or serious misinformation not closely examined. Not that I'm a skeptic or cynical or anything.

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:32 pm

I once had an in-law(out-law) who read a book that theorized on the beastly "666" as being just a symbol that was used at the time of the Bible to represent evil, and that in fact, during the actual days of Revelations, the evil number would ultimately be our social security numbers ergo the government would be behind the whole thing due to the fact that they are the ones that issued them to begin with, ect...etc... This was very much taken into consideration by the in-law and deemed quite plausible. O.K. Talk about your average-every-day, run-of-the-mill, down-home, back-woods conspiracy!! Can we say Zyprexa? Doo-doo doo-doo doo-doo doo-doo. :roll:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:09 am

OK; for completeness, it's time to toss in the old tagline:
664 and 668: Neighbors of The Beast
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:38 am

When I was still in the high school classroom, during a break between classes out in the hall a colleague grabbed a well known banger in the hallway and without a word parted his hair, looked, pushed him away and turned to us and said "665. Close," and turned and walked off. Of course the kid had no idea what he meant, but by our reaction (howling with laughter--we were sensitive like that) he knew it wasn't good.

Funny what sticks in your head...

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:33 pm

Ok, OK, I read up on it, it's all supposition (superstition?) on our part, if there is a God, he said it's the number of man, so we are our own worst enemies?

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:47 pm

Ok, OK, I read up on it, it's all supposition (superstition?) on our part, if there is a God, he said it's the number of man, so we are our own worst enemies?

mark
Probably more than we will ever know. :twisted:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

portokalos
Junior Lexiterian

Postby portokalos » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:55 am

well, its in Revelation of John and not in his gospel.
"What is hell?" I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love.
Fyodor Dostoevsky-The Brothers Karamazov

Return to “Res Diversae”