thee or tha?

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

thee or tha?

Postby Bailey » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:44 pm

I got into an argument last night about the two pronunciations of the; I tried to explain it's the way they are used if it's Thee or tha. but the other persoin insisted it was regional, I know she was wrong.

mark trying-to-keep-the-peace-but-correct Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: thee or tha?

Postby sluggo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:06 pm

I got into an argument last night about the two pronunciations of the; I tried to explain it's the way they are used if it's Thee or tha. but the other persoin insisted it was regional, I know she was wrong.

We know too :P Seems to me it's "thƏ" (that's spozta be a schwa off the AAaccented character list but not working)
-unless singularity is stressed, then "thee".
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:45 pm

OooooooooooooKay, I'm sure she'll understand that.

mark not-too-sure-what-with-the-boxes-and-all Bailey

kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:58 pm

OooooooooooooKay, I'm sure she'll understand that.

mark not-too-sure-what-with-the-boxes-and-all Bailey
The box is supposed to come out as a schwa, looking like e upside down, representing a nonspecific and very unstressed (remember that?) vowel-grunt. I tried to paste it from the "More Emoticons and Accented Characters" bank but it doesn't work and shows as a box. Almost equivalent to what you first wrote as tha but with no stress (remember that?). :lol:

Just give 'er the link, that'll keep her busy. Or else she might expand for us on regional dialects?
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:08 pm

If we're only talking about the definite article, then as far as I know, it's /ðə/ unless it's followed by a vowel. Then it's /ði:/.

It's not regional unless, of course, the person you were arguing with was a) your spouse and/or b) extremely attractive in which case all rules default to the "you're absolutely right, dear"-rule.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Huny
Lexiterian

Re: thee or tha?

Postby Huny » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:09 pm

With me, it just depends on the word that follows "the" that determines how I pronounce it. Of course I can't think of any examples right now because my brain had suddenly developed a severe case of gridlock. :roll:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:00 pm

With me, it just depends on the word that follows "the" that determines how I pronounce it. Of course I can't think of any examples right now because my brain had suddenly developed a severe case of gridlock.
exactly, I had that same problem last night.
:oops:

mark can't-think-of-the-right-word Bailey

kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:27 pm

See pronounciation here. I tried to just copy the entry here, but the pronounciation characters didn't paste.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:40 pm

See pronounciation here. I tried to just copy the entry here, but the pronounciation characters didn't paste.
Jeez, Perry, save yourself the bother of pasting. I made the same point in one sentence about three posts ago. :D

Of course, my characters didn't really come across that well either, but then I've always suspected that I had a serious character flaw.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:10 pm

Dang, PW, you are right again, she was also right, I had to give in, even though I knew I was correct.

mark never-can-win-one Bailey

kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:48 am

Jeez, Perry, save yourself the bother of pasting. I made the same point in one sentence about three posts ago. :D

Of course, my characters didn't really come across that well either, but then I've always suspected that I had a serious character flaw.

-- PW
Yes you did. But I thought that a bit of corroboration was in order.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:18 pm

Yes you did. But I thought that a bit of corroboration was in order.

Totally.

-- PW

Return to “Res Diversae”