Catechins

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

Catechins

Postby KatyBr » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:42 pm

The beneficial bits of green tea.

while normally, most of you wouldn't use this often, as
i do, perhaps you should?
DESCRIPTION
Catechins belong to the flavan-3-ol class of flavonoids. Green tea catechins are the flavan-3-ols found in green tea leaves (Camellia sinensis). The major four catechins in green tea leaves are (-)-epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), (-)-epicatechin gallate (ECG), (-)-epigallocatechin (EGC) and (-)-epicatechin (EC). They are all polyphenolic substances. Black tea leaves have a much lower content of these catechins. That's because black tea leaves undergo extensive fermentation, during which the majority of the catechins are enzymatically oxidized to the major pigments of black tea leaves, theaflavin and thearubigen.

The green tea catechins make up approximately 30% of the dry weight of green tea leaves. Of the catechins, EGCG is the most abundant one in green tea leaves. Green tea, an aqueous infusion of green tea leaves, has been a popular beverage in China and Japan for centuries. In these countries, it is thought that green tea has a number of health-promoting benefits, and it is used in the management of various disorders. Epidemiological studies suggest that green tea may have cancer chemopreventive, as well as anti-atherogenic, properties.

The possible health benefits of green tea are attributed to the catechins. These polyphenolic substances are antioxidants. EGCG appears to be the most potent antioxidant of all the green tea catechins
from:http://www.gettingwell.com/drug_info/nm ... 0319.shtml
can you say "pycnogenols", the natural healer of the decade circa 1990's?
""pycnogenols" from the Greek "pycno" meaning to "thicken or...In grape seed extract, these precursors are known as catechins "
http://www.chsir.com/grape_seed.htm
TERMINOLOGY

OPC extract contains individual units called catechins. When catechins occur individually, they are called monomers. When linked together in pairs, they are called "dimers" and when in three's, "trimers." He named the mixture "pycnogenols" from the Greek "pycno" meaning to "thicken or condense," "gen" meaning "to generate" and "ol" from their chemical name.

[url=http://www.chsir.com/opc-super.htm]see also OPC-super]/url]
good to know!

hmmmm OPC sounds familiar.......

catechin
Dictionarycat·e·chin (kăt'ĭ-kĭn')
n.
A crystalline substance, C15H14O6, derived from catechu and used in tanning and dyeing. Also called catechol.

[CATECH(U) + –IN.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2004, 2000 by
Wikipedia=Catechin
Catechin is a bioflavonoid and a powerful anti-oxidant. The best source of catechin is white tea, with green tea coming close. Catechin is believed to have some value in fighting tumors as well as enhancing immune system function.

U.S. Life Expectancy
Year Male Female
1900 48.2 51.1
1940 60.8 65.2
1950 65.6 71.1
1960 66.6 73.3
1970 67.1 74.7
1980 70.0 77.4
1990 71.8 78.8
1996 73.0 79.0
Source: Dept of Health and Human Services

Katy

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:09 pm

Your testimony has moved me; I now believe in the powers of the catechins! Is a recent convert a catechin catechumen?
gailr

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:46 pm

What the heck is "white tea?"

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:33 am

Well, Apo, near as I can figger from my reading I see that black teas differ from green teas in that they are highly fermented (read: altered) Anything food or drink that has been processed is simply not as good (in terms of health benefits) as the natural form.. I am thinking here that green tea, which is quite high in anti-oxidents to chase those free radicals packing....but is not quite as high in those attributes as White tea, must be "some" processed while white tea is pure and unadulterated. But I'm probably wrong as I'm sure Anders will hasten to tell me, as he seems to be our scientific expert who also is a tea afficianado.

At any rate I do love the flavor of the two combined, this is pure opinion, nevermind correcting me here.

Soon, I may will so healthy, I'll break the sound barrier just doing lawn-work. I'm counting on this.

Health-youth_beauty products are my business, I have a small smattering of info.

Katy

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:20 pm

I haven't encountered white tea in the wild, but an explanation and a picture of it is here.

Speaking of tea colour, did you know that the Chinese call our "black" tea "red tea"?
Irren ist männlich

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”