vicarious

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

vicarious

Postby Bailey » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:46 pm

vi·car·i·ous (v-kâr-s, -kr-, v-)
adj.
1. Felt or undergone as if one were taking part in the experience or feelings of another: read about mountain climbing and experienced vicarious thrills.
2. Endured or done by one person substituting for another: vicarious punishment.
a. Acting or serving in place of someone or something else; substituted.
b. Committed or entrusted to another, as powers or authority; delegated.
4. Physiology Occurring in or performed by a part of the body not normally associated with a certain function.

[From Latin vicrius; see vicar.]

vi·cari·ous·ly adv.
vi·cari·ous·ness n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words AntonymsAdj. 1. vicarious - experienced at secondhand; "read about mountain climbing and felt vicarious excitement"
secondary - of second rank or importance or value; not direct or immediate; "the stone will be hauled to a secondary crusher"; "a secondary source"; "a secondary issue"; "secondary streams"
2. vicarious - occurring in an abnormal part of the body instead of the usual site involved in that function; "vicarious menstruation"
medical specialty, medicine - the branches of medical science that deal with nonsurgical techniques
abnormal - not normal; not typical or usual or regular or conforming to a norm; "abnormal powers of concentration"; "abnormal amounts of rain"; "abnormal circumstances"; "an abnormal interest in food"
3. vicarious - suffered or done by one person as a substitute for another; "vicarious atonement"
exchangeable - suitable to be exchanged
No, It has nothing (???) to do with Garzo or ozrag if you will.

I sort of live vicariously thru' my friends strange lives.

mark wears-a-vicuna-skin Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:02 am

Excellent word. The reference to "vicar" turns my mind to one of the wittier songs in English history:

Vicar of Bray

It helps if you know a little Limey history, and I'm sorry if I can't be bothered to help out with the references, but it makes today's blow-dried political Richard-swingers look like rank amateurs. Joe Lieberman should be taking notes.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:40 am

but one must change with the times to accomodate the ruling party, right?
Now is the time for someone to break into song Alá Bob Dylan, or quote the old saw plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose. But to keep your head in violent times takes tact and mobility of thought.

mark likes-Mary-Queen-of-bloody-minded Bailey
no offense ok?

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”