Quark

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Quark

Postby Apoclima » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:49 pm

quark
Did you mean: Quark (food), Quark (the anthology series), Quark (kernel), Quark (the series), Quark (television), Quark (Star Trek)
Would not a quark by any other name sound as sweet?

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:50 pm

I'd say Quark is not so much Jargon as terminology, emerging ideas and 'things known' need Labels.

Katy
good word Sit....uh...APO
Last edited by KatyBr on Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:12 pm

'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:05 pm

And I who thought that a Quark was a member of the Society of Friends, whose face can be seen on that famous packet of oatmeal. I heard that they use thee's instead of thou's for you's. "Thou shalt not use objective forms in lieu of subjective forms", said God to Moses on Mount Sinai.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:31 pm

Are we playing disassociation?

Thee/thou probably survived most vibrantly within the Quaker Religious Society of Friends and any discussion of thee/thou would be incomplete without mention of Quaker Plain Speech. The Religious Society of Friends, also known as the Quakers, is dissident Protestant sect that was founded in England in 1652 when the thee/thou, you distinction was still used by the general population. According to R. Bauman, Quakers adopted a policy of using thee/thou in all interactions for four reasons: to maintain linguistic purity (i.e. a singular second person pronoun); to remain in accordance with the speech they (erroneously) believed Jesus and his followers to have used; to avoid undue pride and to assert the equality of all people by refusing to accord anyone the status of being addressed as you; and to avoid the use of you to address people and thou to address God (Birch, 40-41). The irony is that, with the loss of the common use of thee/thou, its use in Quaker communities quickly began to be a distinguishing mark, setting Quakers apart from the wider community; this was in direct contrast to their intended egalitarian goals when they chose to use thee/thou (Birch 44) but it continued to be widely used by Quakers until well into the nineteenth century (Birch 46).
The second person pronoun in Early Modern English
By Cheratra Yaswen, c. 2003

In order to show that all people were equal before God, Quakers continued to use the informal pronouns thee and thou longer than anyone else. Actually, they stopped using thou and used thee as if it were a subject form, and they combined it with the third person singular of the verb, which is ungrammatical. So what would be “thou findest the truth” in historical usage became “thee finds the truth” in Quakerese.
Thee and Thou
Take this test to see if you should use thou. Change the emphasized words as needed. Then compare your answers with the answer at the end.

Yesterday, I saw you and your friend John getting into a car. Were you going somewhere with him? I saw you sitting behind the wheel, so I thought you were the driver. Was the car his or yours? I didn’t know you had your license.
Apo

I even got the past subjunctive right!

Thou

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:28 pm

And, of course, we dislike "confused unintelligible language" as our old friend, buzz, taught us so well.

Apo
shhhhhhhh...don't invoke him, he hasn't been 86ed from here...

Katy

Spiff
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Spiff » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:49 am

And, of course, we dislike "confused unintelligible language" as our old friend, buzz, taught us so well.

Apo
shhhhhhhh...don't invoke him, he hasn't been 86ed from here...

Katy
86ed???
Spaceman Spiff

"The capacity for humankind to centralize its importance in the grand scheme of things is quite impressive."
- Tim Ward

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Quark

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:18 am

quark
Did you mean: Quark (food), Quark (the anthology series), Quark (kernel), Quark (the series), Quark (television), Quark (Star Trek)
For my part, the term «quark» refers to the particles which comprise hadrons like protons and neutrons - what else ? But as seen above it is variously employed - for a link which in still greater detail disambiguates the various usages of this lovely, but rather recent addition to English vocabulary, click on this link....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:06 am

The Swedish correspondence I know of is kvark, for the elementary particle as well as the foodstuff.
Irren ist männlich

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:10 am

I have no idea whatsoever what that is in my native Portuguese or the lingua franca of the forum: Nahuatl.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:39 pm

For the Portuguese, BD, try this link, but you'll have to fix the Hahuatl on your own....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:41 pm

Oh, I thought it was quarco :)

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:42 pm

Wow, I undestand as much as I did before, i.e. nothing. I guess I don't know quark about quarks.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:48 pm

Wow, I undestand as much as I did before, i.e. nothing. ...
Who said Portuguese was easy ?!!...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:50 pm

I never did!

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”