stone

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:04 pm

So if you say "I don't give a dram," that's a little more than 1/3 of a scruple?

Thanks for the explanation of the fat quarter; it was driving me nuts (and it's a [b[short putt[/b]).
ah, we got us a keeper, well done Avi, you're hired!

mark who-neither-hires-nor-fires-but... Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:49 am

I agree, Bailey; lord knows we're sadly lacking in punsters here...

Excellent comeback, aviatrix!

-gailr

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:23 am

Personally, I prefer an anthropocentric approach to the rather pedestrian geocentric approach. I mean, a foot is....um...a foot. At least mine is. I also like measurements that leave room for some imagination, like "a pinch" or "a dash" or "a while" or even "a $hitload". Not to mention "a wee dram."

Think I'll put my two bits
On cubits

-- PW
Let us not forget the southern term "as the crow flies". I guess if we flew to every destination, we would get there much faster, and not because flying is faster, but because the crow flies in a straight line(?). And don't forget the ever so vauge "her house is over yonder" as some folks I know nod their head in a general direction. I would hate to be lost in a desert, starving and thirsting do death and the only soul I come across is a southerner that tells me the nearest watering hole is "over yonder about a mile as the crow flies". :shock: I would rather chew my own foot off than have to deal with that riddle wrapped up in a quagmire.
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:12 am

Over yonder, and as the crow flies are fairly clearcut descriptors. You are in trouble in the South when given directions that start with, "Do you remember where that old Mobil gas station used to be on Route 80?..."
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:30 am

"Do you remember where that old Mobil gas station used to be on Route 80?..."
They do that up-north too.
My favorite was the directions that began you can't get there from here. We got that one All the time on road trips especially on route 66.
Usually crows seem to fly as the creek meanders. I remember the day we decided to float down the river on inner tibes, my friend and I assured each other regularily that we'd be passed the railroad tracks (five miles down the road) by 4pm. Well, the river was low and really didn't follow the road as much as we'd thought. Our parents were frantic when we were still missing at 9pm. Finally we asked a rancher who was close to the river in his truck to rescue us..

mark no-more-rafting Bailey

kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:24 pm

I would hate to be lost in a desert, starving and thirsting do death and the only soul I come across is a southerner that tells me the nearest watering hole is "over yonder about a mile as the crow flies".
Here's how such directions would be delivered "up north":

"You wanna go futher (unmeasurable distance: neither further nor farther) up the road, second right from the where the road curves to the left. If you come to a clump of trees, you gone too far. If you turn around and come to a cattle gate on your right, you gone too far. You can't miss it."

These directions will be given in great earnest by someone who knows very well that the country road curves like a river for miles, that his 'second right' may--or may not--include turnoffs which he, himself does not use, that there are clumps of trees at each turnoff, and that cattle gates are ubiquitous in them there parts. "You can't miss it" is just cruelty masquerading as neighborliness. :wink:

-gailr
who likes to know mileage and map directions

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:33 pm

I would hate to be lost in a desert, starving and thirsting do death and the only soul I come across is a southerner that tells me the nearest watering hole is "over yonder about a mile as the crow flies".

Huny, stay out of southern deserts.

mark prefers-high-Northern-desserts[sic] Bailey

kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:38 pm

It was a running joke on hikes in the Boy Scouts that we'd shout "How much farther is it?" to which Doc, the Scoutmaster, would reply "Down the road a piece!"
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:41 am

And just what kind of yummy desserts come from the high-Northern areas? :D Desserts are my specialty, afterall, I must work hard to keep up this plus-sized figure! Thank goodness I'm tall. :oops:

I was refering to the worst kind of southerner in the worst kind of deserts. That would be a misplaced southerner in the desert southwest. :shock:

I realized I have been here in GA to long when I asked a local where a new shop was located and they replied, "Do ya' know were the old post office is?" "Why, yes, I do know where the old post office is." "Well, it's next to that." Oh, my Lord. :roll: Here I was thinking I had left all the fruits and nuts behind in California.

Huny--there's no place like home (click,click) there's no place like home (click, click)
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:45 am

Oh, my Lord. :roll: Here I was thinking I had left all the fruits and nuts behind in California.

Huny--there's no place like home (click,click) there's no place like home (click, click)
We have plenty of fruits and nuts here in Asheville (hey Sluggo and I are here :wink: ), but still folks around here seem somehow more grounded than the California average. :?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:45 am

Perry, I hear Ashville is an Artsy-fartsy kind o' place, so of course you'd have a wide variety of fruits and nuts there.

mark no-offense Bailey

kb

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:52 am

And just what kind of yummy desserts come from the high-Northern areas?

Huny, Huny, Huny, you have to understand my jump/shift kind of mind (mindlessness?) I see the word desert and well It becomes dessert. I lived in a high desert in Washington state, , folks there were just as weird about directuions, the first thing they do when asked for 'the way to" is to note your Way out--of-state plates and go "Wahl, take a right at the mobil station, go four miles down the dirt road, where the k-mark (sic) burned down, no wait... you can't get there from there you gotta take the freeway (a goat-trail, btw) about 8 miles and you can't miss it."
to say the area was rural was like calling Perry or PW amusing.

kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:10 pm

Oh, my Lord. :roll: Here I was thinking I had left all the fruits and nuts behind in California.

We have plenty of fruits and nuts here in Asheville (hey Sluggo and I are here :wink: ), but still folks around here seem somehow more grounded than the California average. :?
Oh,yes, yes. I agree all the way. The Carolinas are good places. After all, my family came down from "them thar pines trees". Nothin' could be finer.

BTW: When I first moved here, several people called me a "prune picker" when they figured out I was from CA. :shock: :evil: Now that was a first. I'm not going to even pretend I know what that's supposed to mean.

Huny--who wonders how one can pick a prune out of a plum tree. Way over ripe, bordering on spoilage!!

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:17 pm

Huny, Huny, Huny, you have to understand my jump/shift kind of mind (mindlessness?) I see the word desert and well It becomes dessert. I lived in a high desert in Washington state, , folks there were just as weird about directuions, the first thing they do when asked for 'the way to" is to note your Way out--of-state plates and go "Wahl, take a right at the mobil station, go four miles down the dirt road, where the k-mark (sic) burned down, no wait... you can't get there from there you gotta take the freeway (a goat-trail, btw) about 8 miles and you can't miss it."
to say the area was rural was like calling Perry or PW amusing.
For some stupid reason, I thought you were out here with the rest of the easterners. My imagination has led me astray again. For some reason, you felt closer. :lol:

Huny--Who thought we were getting something good to eat. 8)

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:06 pm

Huny I do live back east, but once lived out West.
BTW: When I first moved here, several people called me a "prune picker" when they figured out I was from CA
have yiou actually seen peolpe who live in So. Cal for a while? Their faces look like prunes.

mark got-out-while-the-gettin'-was-good Bailey[/quote]

kb

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”