Instant advertising

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Palewriter
Lexiterian

Instant advertising

Postby Palewriter » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:34 pm

There's a nasty, lazy trend in advertising to jump on a particular slogan or headline bandwagon and ride it until the wheels squeak and start to fall off.

Currently, there are three examples that raise my particular ire. I'll call them the triple blights of "priceless", "got" and "on."

Priceless: "A weekend in Aleppo...$500; a ride on a one-eyed, farty camel...$2.50; 24% APR on this lousy credit card....priceless."

Got: This one's a cinch. The formula is "Got [insert noun]?"
So, "Got Vodka?" or "Got Schlimmer's Homemade Pumpkin Rissoles?" or "Got Black Death?"

On: Probably the one that currently puts my teeth most on edge. The formula is "Get your [insert random word here] on." So "Get your cool on" or "Get your burger on" or "Get your Elmer's Plumbing & Pet Rescue Service on."

Priceless. In fact, bloody useless.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:32 am

Hilarious, as usual Pale....

mark in-awe Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Instant advertising

Postby Stargzer » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:54 am

. . .
Priceless: "A weekend in Aleppo...$500; a ride on a one-eyed, farty camel...$2.50; 24% APR on this lousy credit card....priceless."

-- PW
Actually, the spoofs on Priceless are often, well, priceless.

(BTW, these are the cleanest ones I could find! :shock: )
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:20 am

PW, ALL the ones you mention put my teeth on edge!
I don't remember the name of the company using this one (perhaps I've subconciously blocked it), it's clothing of some kind--"Get your 'fash' on"! If given the opportunity, I could cause bodily harm to the individual who came up with it.

You may have opened up a long thread here! But maybe not...

Skin-they call me the thread killer-em

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:30 pm

PW, ALL the ones you mention put my teeth on edge!
I don't remember the name of the company using this one (perhaps I've subconciously blocked it), it's clothing of some kind--"Get your 'fash' on"! If given the opportunity, I could cause bodily harm to the individual who came up with it.

You may have opened up a long thread here! But maybe not...

Skin-they call me the thread killer-em
Oh yes. Old Navy is the culprit (or at least their agency).
I guess they "got their mor on".

This could be the beginning of something big, like a lifetime boycott.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:27 pm

On: Probably the one that currently puts my teeth most on edge. The formula is "Get your [insert random word here] on." So "Get your cool on" or "Get your burger on" or "Get your Elmer's Plumbing & Pet Rescue Service on."
You can run screaming, PW, but you can't hide. This insidious phrase even appears in the motherlode of American Ephemera: here in commentary on an MPC note.
-gailr

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:47 pm

I love where that came from. The Engraveyard - A salute to tiny pictures made with wavy lines.

Can I get 'the wave'?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:57 pm

"I so totally agree, PW." she gushed; eyes brightly lit, but alas no one was home.

mark I-imagine-this-will-go-whoosh Bailey

kb

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:39 pm

"I so totally agree, PW." she gushed; eyes brightly lit, but alas no one was home.

mark I-imagine-this-will-go-whoosh Bailey
Yeah, Mark...the lights are on but nobody's home. Story of my life. Actually, I've been busy getting my e-mail on.

-- PW

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:20 pm

. . .

-- PW
Actually, the spoofs on Priceless are often, well, priceless.

(BTW, these are the cleanest ones I could find! :shock: )
The best spoof on Priceless was a film clip I saw once. It is rather risque, but I will quote it nevertheless.

A young man is standing with his girlfriend on her front porch. The both say what a great time they had. Then the young man asks his girlfriend for oral sex. She demures "I can't. Someone will see us." He keeps asking.

Suddenly the lights come on, the front door opens and the younger sister speaks. "Dad said to give him a blow job. Or I should give him a blow job. Or in a pinch, he will come and give a blow job. But for God's sake, please stop leaning on the intercom button!"

Meal in classy restaurant: $75
Wine to get up the courage to ask for oral sex: $32
Father with a sense of humor: Priceless.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:43 pm

The best spoof on Priceless was a film clip I saw once. It is rather risque, but I will quote it nevertheless.
Absolutely disgusting. Only a complete degenerate would want to watch such filth.

-- PW

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:39 pm

Yeah, that's one of the many I didn't post a link to!

A lot were pictures of people inadvertantly, and unknowingly, exposing parts of their anatomy that wouldn't normally be exposed. :twisted:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:52 pm

A 'clean' ad, but a most effective one. They should show it on all programming targeting 'teens and young adults'.

Incessantly.

-gailr :lol:

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:53 pm

Absolutely disgusting. Only a complete degenerate would want to watch such filth.
THAT was on TV? NO! surely we haven't come to that yet?
mark but-then-again-why-not Bailey
edited for a typo Gailr would have loved......
Last edited by Bailey on Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

kb

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:28 am

A 'clean' ad, but a most effective one. They should show it on all programming targeting 'teens and young adults'.

Incessantly.

-gailr :lol:
One of my all-time-favorite ads, gailr. Here's another great one. And clean, too.

-- PW

Return to “Res Diversae”