Dr. Goodword needs some help with Oppenheim

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Dr. Goodword needs some help with Oppenheim

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:05 pm

Dr. Goodword, of course, knows everything; however, he sometimes forgets (we all do). He forgets now the origin of name of the city of Oppenheim, Germany. Heim is "home" but does anyone know where the Oppen might have come from?

Send me an email if you do. I need it for an upcoming Good Word for next week.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:44 pm

I am guessing that the Oppen comes from somebody's name; long ago. I tried a few of the translation engines and oppen only figures as an interior group of letters, if you will; never as a word on its own.

The official Oppenheim website is only in German, so I couldn't research the origin of the name there.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:10 pm

I did find a drop-down box (and a link on the left side of the page) for the English Pages

There's no info on the origins there, but there is this:
For more information call:

Tourist-Information - Cityhall
Merianstr. 2
55276 Oppenheim
Phone: +49 6133 49 09 14 / -15
Email: info@stadt-oppenheim.de
Perhaps Doc can send an EMail looking for the answer.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Re: Dr. Goodword needs some help with Oppenheim

Postby Palewriter » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:43 pm

Dr. Goodword, of course, knows everything; however, he sometimes forgets (we all do). He forgets now the origin of name of the city of Oppenheim, Germany. Heim is "home" but does anyone know where the Oppen might have come from?

Send me an email if you do. I need it for an upcoming Good Word for next week.
OK. Apparently, the town was founded in the early 6th Century, probably on an earlier Roman settlement, by a Frankish nobleman named Obbe. The original name was thus "obbenheim" or "Obbe's dwellingplace". This then became "Oppenheim" through the usual corruption/confusion of similar bilabial plosives.

See here for the whole romping tale in German. Actually, very gripping stuff.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:38 am

Thanks PW. Nice to know that my guess was on the mark. (Or were they using thalers back then? :roll: )
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:42 am

Palewrite, that is exactly what I needed. Thanks for the search. I couldn't find it.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Return to “Languages of the World”