Ya'llbonics

A discussion of slang and the changes it undergoes.
Huny
Lexiterian

Ya'llbonics

Postby Huny » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:53 pm

Ya'llbonics

As a public service, I thought I'd help ya'll out:

Not to be outdone by Ebonics in California, the Southern Association of
Colleges & Schools is requesting billions of federal dollars to teach
"Ya'llbonics" in all classrooms south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Included here are some samples of "Ya'llbonics." If you do not understand
any of them, contact a Southerner for an explanation.

(noun) Greeting. (complete sentence) Remainder of greeting. Usage: "Heidi,
hire yew?"
BARD: (verb) Past tense of the infinitive "to borrow." Usage: "My brother
bard my pickup truck."

(noun) The state north of Florida. Capital is Lanner. Usage: "My brother
from Jawjuh bard my pickup truck."

(noun) The state west of Jawjuh. Capital is Berminhayum. Usage: "A tornader
jes went through Bammer an' left $20,000,000 in improvements."

(noun) A calendar division. Usage: "My brother from Jawjuh bard my pickup
truck, and I ain't herd from him in munts."

(verb) Cognitive process. Usage: "Ah thank ah'll have a Coke."

(noun) A tool used for tight'nin' bolts. Usage: "I thank I leff my ranch in
the back of that pickup truck my brother from Jawjuh bard a few munts ago."

(noun) A petroleum-based lubricant. Usage: "I sure hope my brother from
Jawjuh puts all in my pickup truck."

(noun) A conflagration. Usage: "If my brother from Jawjuh don't change the
all in my pickup truck, that thing's gonna catch far."

(noun) A rubber wheel. Usage: "I hope that brother of mine from Jawjuh don't
git a flat tar in my pickup truck."

(adjective) Not domestic. Usage: "I cuddint unnerstand a wurd he used ..
must be from some farn country."

The capitol city of France (a farn country). Usage: see below.
TIRE: (noun) A tall monument. Usage: "Lord willin' and the creek don't rise,
Ah sure hope to see that Eiffel Tire in Pears sometime."

(verb) To stop working. Usage: "My grampaw retard at age 65."

(adjective) Not alive. Usage: "He's did, Jim."

(noun) A colorless, odorless gas; oxygen. Usage: "He cain't breathe ... give
'im some ARE!"

(noun) A sharp, twisted cable. Usage: "Boy, stay away from that bob war
fence."

There, ya'll. Hope this helps. I know sometimes we talk funny, but trust
me...really it's YOU who talks funny.

A buddy sent this to me :lol:- Huny
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:42 pm

A pitcher is worth a thousand words.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:49 pm

Heidi. A retard friend of mine's did. A couple munts ago he couldn't get any are after he got into th' bob war. A farner runned him oft the road given 'im a flat tar down to the water tire over yonder. He got thowed out'n th' pickemup and all wrapped up init.
Sad. Now, 'is sister's a widow agin.

(We don't really marry our cousins in the south. Datin's another matter...)

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:23 pm

So how many Southerners here are tired (or tarred) of being treated like ignorant bumpkins by sophisticated Northerners, simply based on dialect? Hm?

Of course, the same phenomenon exists everywhere. Northern Brits are goofy; folks from the Southwest (like Gonzo) are slow and rather dimwitted; don't even mention the Welsh or Irish; folks from the north of Scandinavia are treated like bumpkins by Stockholmers; Berliners regard East Frisians as post-lobotomy patients...the list goes on and on. Southern Italy, Western France, Northern Spain, Northern Greece...just listen to how dumb they are.

Hollywood propagates this kind of nonsense. How many bib-overalled, slack-jawed, drooling bumpkins? How many pot-bellied Cracker sheriffs? How many Cajun loafers? How many pig-eyed, ass-scratchin' Alabama dirt farmers? How many three-times inbred, atavistic loons from Arkansas?

Personally, I find most Southern dialects, particularly the Texas dialects, perfectly charming. Sophisticated New Yorkers sound whiney and rather bad-mannered to me. The Great Lakes seem to cause the outright murder of seemingly straighforward dipthongs. And Californians....well, hardly any of them are from there anyway.

But what the hell does a dumb Limey know?

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:15 am

Heidi. A retard friend of mine's did. A couple munts ago he couldn't get any are after he got into th' bob war. A farner runned him oft the road given 'im a flat tar down to the water tire over yonder. He got thowed out'n th' pickemup and all wrapped up init.
Sad. Now, 'is sister's a widow agin.

(We don't really marry our cousins in the south. Datin's another matter...)
'el Ill be, skin'em! Dat dar is sumin' else. Speak fer yer self 'bout dem dar first cuins gittin mard in da south.

My wise southern Aunt always said you never know what you will dig up when you dig deep 'nuff in dat dar wood pile. :lol:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:41 am

So how many Southerners here are tired (or tarred) of being treated like ignorant bumpkins by sophisticated Northerners, simply based on dialect? Hm?

Of course, the same phenomenon exists everywhere. Northern Brits are goofy; folks from the Southwest (like Gonzo) are slow and rather dimwitted; don't even mention the Welsh or Irish; folks from the north of Scandinavia are treated like bumpkins by Stockholmers; Berliners regard East Frisians as post-lobotomy patients...the list goes on and on. Southern Italy, Western France, Northern Spain, Northern Greece...just listen to how dumb they are.

Hollywood propagates this kind of nonsense. How many bib-overalled, slack-jawed, drooling bumpkins? How many pot-bellied Cracker sheriffs? How many Cajun loafers? How many pig-eyed, ass-scratchin' Alabama dirt farmers? How many three-times inbred, atavistic loons from Arkansas?

Personally, I find most Southern dialects, particularly the Texas dialects, perfectly charming. Sophisticated New Yorkers sound whiney and rather bad-mannered to me. The Great Lakes seem to cause the outright murder of seemingly straighforward dipthongs. And Californians....well, hardly any of them are from there anyway.

But what the hell does a dumb Limey know?

-- PW
Gosh, PW, you nailed it. You are like me, born on one planet and living on another-well, might as well be. I had to tone down my "rudeness" when I first moved here from California. I caught on real quick like. And here I was thinking all along I was a nice person untill I moved to Georgia. Now, when on the phone doing business with someone in a place other that the south, I have to size them up by their accent and decide whether or not I need to "turn on" my new found southen charm. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But at least I know how to play both sides of the fence. Comes in handy--until I talk to my cousins out west. All they can seem to do is ask me "What happened to you? Where did you get that southern accent?" Well, DUH. Now who is stupid? On the other hand, my husband says I suddenly gain an accent while on the phone with my west coast kin. And I don't mean gain a southern accent, either. I'm sure you do as I, PW, and suddenly gain the accent of your homeland back when talking with your countrymen - when no one else is looking, of course. :twisted:

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:55 am

I'm sure you do as I, PW, and suddenly gain the accent of your homeland back when talking with your countrymen
I do. Though I try hard to avoid talking to them at all. :-)

-- PW

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:05 am

I'm sure you do as I, PW, and suddenly gain the accent of your homeland back when talking with your countrymen
I do. Though I try hard to avoid talking to them at all. :-)

-- PW
Allrightythen! Then we won't go there. :lol:

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:43 am

PW, Which countrymen are you talking about here, British? or Swedish?

you do seem to cling to each as your home-origin
btw, calling Northerners sophisticated is just as prejudicial as saying Southerners are ign'runt. Northerners are not all cold and stuck-up. Not all Southerners are well, you know.

mark just-sayin' Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:24 pm

I"ve found living in other parts of the US with a southern accent to be, well, interesting. Some people hear the accent and automatically deduct IQ points without waiting to see if that's deserved or not or they assume you're prejudiced and uneducated. While "up north" on business about 10 years ago, this was said to me..."You're from the south? You must know a lot of ignorant people!" (Me, while staring intently at the speaker) "Why, yes. Yes, I do." The south has no corner on the ignorance/predjudice market.

I do tire of every Hollywood portrayal of a redneck/hick having a southern accent...or every tornado victim being soutern and with one tooth. (We heerd it a'comin'...sounded lak a big ol' freight train! Me and momma got inna tub and rode 'er out!)
No, wait. That one's true...

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:28 pm

PW, Which countrymen are you talking about here, British? or Swedish?
I spent about 20 years in each. Long story.

-- PW

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:28 pm

I"ve found living in other parts of the US with a southern accent to be, well, interesting. Some people hear the accent and automatically deduct IQ points without waiting to see if that's deserved or not or they assume you're prejudiced and uneducated. While "up north" on business about 10 years ago, this was said to me..."You're from the south? You must know a lot of ignorant people!" (Me, while staring intently at the speaker) "Why, yes. Yes, I do." The south has no corner on the ignorance/predjudice market.

I do tire of every Hollywood portrayal of a redneck/hick having a southern accent...or every tornado victim being soutern and with one tooth. (We heerd it a'comin'...sounded lak a big ol' freight train! Me and momma got inna tub and rode 'er out!)
No, wait. That one's true...
Very well said, skinem. It annoys me too to see how Hollywood portrays southern folks. They are the ones that seem to lack insight into what the south is about. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall while you were staring death rays into the "ignorant" persons eyes. I can't believe-well, yes I can- that anyone could be so rude like that. I may still laugh at a southerner or two even after all this time spent here, but that just goes to show you that I have developed a southern sense of humor! :D And southerns laugh at me too, because I am still a little different and a little wet behing the ears when it comes to southern things. But I love making them laugh. And it is here I'll stay!!

Huny- I-think-I'll-live-longer-if-I-stay-here-in-the-south

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:23 pm

Huny, don't worry. You are already an us'n (not a you'un).
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:31 pm

Huny, don't worry. You are already an us'n (not a you'un).
:wink:

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:02 pm

uh, what about us [very nice] Northerners?

mark staying-here-with-the-cold-and-distinct-lack-of-roaches Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Return to “Slang”