odd words in advertising

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:24 am

Such a shameless pun run. Youse guys should be mortarfied.
Or else put on our mortarboards and gowns to get honorary PhDs (Puns [in] High Definition).
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:30 am

I thought PhD stood for piled higher and deeper. How tall are you?.... I didn't know they could stack it That high!

I'm suffering from grout, my tiles hurt, and my mosiac makes no sense. Nothing is cemented down. Trowl all you want there is no fish in this picture.

mark a-bit-confused-today Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:02 pm

When I go for a calk, I get dry and crumbly. When I do my set-ups, I'm not as lumber as I would like to be. On the other hand, when I contemplate the here rafter, I realize that I am joist fine.

Great, in fact!
Those two boards are history. Now I am a brown belt, recommended, testing for brown belt, decided later this month, hopefully.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:48 pm

When I go for a calk, I get dry and crumbly. When I do my set-ups, I'm not as lumber as I would like to be. On the other hand, when I contemplate the here rafter, I realize that I am joist fine....
Those two boards are history. Now I am a brown belt, recommended, testing for brown belt, decided later this month, hopefully.
Go Perry! Well constructed. And good luck on that belt, after which you can tell us all what can Brown do for you...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:45 pm

There used to be a karate school in the DC area run by a man called Joon Rhee. His TV ad trademark was "Noboby bothers me!" Word is that one night someone bothered him with a pistol and relieved him of his wallet. The next set of commercials had a little kid in the white robe saying "Nobody bothers me!"

Which reminds me of the old joke about the guy who was cut off by a truck and followed the trucker to his next stop. He jumped out of his car, assumed a defensive posture, and shouted "Karate: Korea!" The trucker smacked him upside the head with a heavy metal object and shouted "Crowbar: Sears and Roebuck!"
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:54 pm

I'm also reminded of the old James Bond spoofs by Sol Weinstein, the Israel Bond series. In the book Loxfinger, Lazarus Loxfinger's henchman, Macaroon (based on the character Odd-Job in Goldfinger) intimidates people by pulling out a 4x4 and breaking it in half with a karate chop. At the end of the book, when Bond has to fight him, all he does is pull out a 4x4 and chop it in half--he doesn't know HOW to fight! Bond easily finishes him off.

And does Perry remember the old Bill Cosby routine about breaking boards with karate? The student was told "You have to think THROUGH the board" but the board was thinking "Oh no you don't!" :lol:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:57 pm

Could be a hard sell...
I'm afraid that a hard sell could leave one feeling like they came from the school of (portable) hard (drive) knocks, which is never good. :roll:

Huny- worried by every noise that comes out of my tower and hoping that it's solid enough to last.
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:04 pm

When I go for a calk, I get dry and crumbly. When I do my set-ups, I'm not as lumber as I would like to be. On the other hand, when I contemplate the here rafter, I realize that I am joist fine....
Go Perry! Well constructed. And good luck on that belt, after which you can tell us all what can Brown do for you...
...and may he find his chi in the process. :wink:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:51 pm

There used to be a karate school in the DC area run by a man called Joon Rhee. His TV ad trademark was "Noboby bothers me!" Word is that one night someone bothered him with a pistol and relieved him of his wallet. The next set of commercials had a little kid in the white robe saying "Nobody bothers me!"

Which reminds me of the old joke about the guy who was cut off by a truck and followed the trucker to his next stop. He jumped out of his car, assumed a defensive posture, and shouted "Karate: Korea!" The trucker smacked him upside the head with a heavy metal object and shouted "Crowbar: Sears and Roebuck!"
Not only is Joon Rheestill around, but he is tougher than ever. At 74 he can still do 100 push ups in one minute. He is now a 10th degree black belt. Have a look at him here.
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:27 pm

. . . Not only is Joon Rheestill around, but he is tougher than ever. At 74 he can still do 100 push ups in one minute. He is now a 10th degree black belt. Have a look at him here.
Good to hear! I see he still has locations in Maryland and Virginia.

Another early fitness icon, Jack LaLanne, is still going strong at age 92!

I remember watching him on TV as a kid. I'll never forget watching him do one-handed pushups faster than most people can do them two-handed.
1956 (age 42): Jack set a world record of 1,033 pushups in 23 minutes on You Asked for It, a television program with Art Baker.

1959 (age 45): Jack did 1,000 pushups and 1,000 chin-ups in 1 hour, 22 minutes.
Unfortunately, his influence didn't stick with me.
Regards//Larry

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:22 am

all this talk of exercise gives me tremendous motivation.

mark-going-to-take-a-nap Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:06 pm

Another early fitness icon, Jack LaLanne, is still going strong at age 92! ...
1956 (age 42): Jack set a world record of 1,033 pushups in 23 minutes on You Asked for It, a television program with Art Baker.

1959 (age 45): Jack did 1,000 pushups and 1,000 chin-ups in 1 hour, 22 minutes.
Unfortunately, his influence didn't stick with me.
Perhaps you could take inspiration from a series of panels in James O'Barr's The Crow. Eric is doing one-handed pullups (counting sixty- / three), one-handed pushups (sixty- / four), and situps (sixty- / five).

You can appreciate how a judicious application of this technique would do wonders for your workout regimen.

-gailr
sixteen thousand and / forty-seven, sixteen thousand and / forty-eight...

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:11 pm

My nine year old son does one handed push ups. I do one and a half-handed push ups; but not by choice. (My right arm still doesn't have all of the nerves firing up.)
Anonymous

Return to “Res Diversae”