Alphadictionary.com

Our Sponsors

Technical Translation
Website Translation Clip Art
 

odd words in advertising

Miscellaneous Other Topics.

Postby Perry » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:24 am

sluggo wrote:Such a shameless pun run. Youse guys should be mortarfied.


Or else put on our mortarboards and gowns to get honorary PhDs (Puns [in] High Definition).
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous
User avatar
Perry
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:50 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Postby Bailey » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:30 am

I thought PhD stood for piled higher and deeper. How tall are you?.... I didn't know they could stack it That high!

I'm suffering from grout, my tiles hurt, and my mosiac makes no sense. Nothing is cemented down. Trowl all you want there is no fish in this picture.

mark a-bit-confused-today Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb








Bailey
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Postby Perry » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:02 pm

When I go for a calk, I get dry and crumbly. When I do my set-ups, I'm not as lumber as I would like to be. On the other hand, when I contemplate the here rafter, I realize that I am joist fine.

Great, in fact!
Image
Those two boards are history. Now I am a brown belt, recommended, testing for brown belt, decided later this month, hopefully.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous
User avatar
Perry
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:50 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Postby sluggo » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:48 pm

Perry wrote:When I go for a calk, I get dry and crumbly. When I do my set-ups, I'm not as lumber as I would like to be. On the other hand, when I contemplate the here rafter, I realize that I am joist fine....
Those two boards are history. Now I am a brown belt, recommended, testing for brown belt, decided later this month, hopefully.


Go Perry! Well constructed. And good luck on that belt, after which you can tell us all what can Brown do for you...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1476
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:58 pm
Location: Carolinia Agrestícia: The Forest Primeval

Postby Stargzer » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:45 pm

There used to be a karate school in the DC area run by a man called Joon Rhee. His TV ad trademark was "Noboby bothers me!" Word is that one night someone bothered him with a pistol and relieved him of his wallet. The next set of commercials had a little kid in the white robe saying "Nobody bothers me!"

Which reminds me of the old joke about the guy who was cut off by a truck and followed the trucker to his next stop. He jumped out of his car, assumed a defensive posture, and shouted "Karate: Korea!" The trucker smacked him upside the head with a heavy metal object and shouted "Crowbar: Sears and Roebuck!"
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
Stargzer
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD

Postby Stargzer » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:54 pm

I'm also reminded of the old James Bond spoofs by Sol Weinstein, the Israel Bond series. In the book Loxfinger, Lazarus Loxfinger's henchman, Macaroon (based on the character Odd-Job in Goldfinger) intimidates people by pulling out a 4x4 and breaking it in half with a karate chop. At the end of the book, when Bond has to fight him, all he does is pull out a 4x4 and chop it in half--he doesn't know HOW to fight! Bond easily finishes him off.

And does Perry remember the old Bill Cosby routine about breaking boards with karate? The student was told "You have to think THROUGH the board" but the board was thinking "Oh no you don't!" :lol:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
Stargzer
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD

Postby Huny » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:57 pm

skinem wrote:Could be a hard sell...


I'm afraid that a hard sell could leave one feeling like they came from the school of (portable) hard (drive) knocks, which is never good. :roll:

Huny- worried by every noise that comes out of my tower and hoping that it's solid enough to last.
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.
Huny
Lexiterian
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:38 pm
Location: Georgia

Postby Huny » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:04 pm

sluggo wrote:
Perry wrote:When I go for a calk, I get dry and crumbly. When I do my set-ups, I'm not as lumber as I would like to be. On the other hand, when I contemplate the here rafter, I realize that I am joist fine....
Those two boards are history. Now I am a brown belt, recommended, testing for brown belt, decided later this month, hopefully.


Go Perry! Well constructed. And good luck on that belt, after which you can tell us all what can Brown do for you...


...and may he find his chi in the process. :wink:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.
Huny
Lexiterian
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:38 pm
Location: Georgia

Postby Perry » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:51 pm

Stargzer wrote:There used to be a karate school in the DC area run by a man called Joon Rhee. His TV ad trademark was "Noboby bothers me!" Word is that one night someone bothered him with a pistol and relieved him of his wallet. The next set of commercials had a little kid in the white robe saying "Nobody bothers me!"

Which reminds me of the old joke about the guy who was cut off by a truck and followed the trucker to his next stop. He jumped out of his car, assumed a defensive posture, and shouted "Karate: Korea!" The trucker smacked him upside the head with a heavy metal object and shouted "Crowbar: Sears and Roebuck!"


Not only is Joon Rheestill around, but he is tougher than ever. At 74 he can still do 100 push ups in one minute. He is now a 10th degree black belt. Have a look at him here.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous
User avatar
Perry
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:50 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Postby Stargzer » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:27 pm

Perry wrote: . . . Not only is Joon Rheestill around, but he is tougher than ever. At 74 he can still do 100 push ups in one minute. He is now a 10th degree black belt. Have a look at him here.


Good to hear! I see he still has locations in Maryland and Virginia.

Another early fitness icon, Jack LaLanne, is still going strong at age 92!

I remember watching him on TV as a kid. I'll never forget watching him do one-handed pushups faster than most people can do them two-handed.

1956 (age 42): Jack set a world record of 1,033 pushups in 23 minutes on You Asked for It, a television program with Art Baker.

1959 (age 45): Jack did 1,000 pushups and 1,000 chin-ups in 1 hour, 22 minutes.


Unfortunately, his influence didn't stick with me.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
Stargzer
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD

Postby Bailey » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:22 am

all this talk of exercise gives me tremendous motivation.

mark-going-to-take-a-nap Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb








Bailey
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Postby gailr » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:06 pm

Stargzer wrote: Another early fitness icon, Jack LaLanne, is still going strong at age 92! ...

1956 (age 42): Jack set a world record of 1,033 pushups in 23 minutes on You Asked for It, a television program with Art Baker.

1959 (age 45): Jack did 1,000 pushups and 1,000 chin-ups in 1 hour, 22 minutes.


Unfortunately, his influence didn't stick with me.

Perhaps you could take inspiration from a series of panels in James O'Barr's The Crow. Eric is doing one-handed pullups (counting sixty- / three), one-handed pushups (sixty- / four), and situps (sixty- / five).

You can appreciate how a judicious application of this technique would do wonders for your workout regimen.

-gailr
sixteen thousand and / forty-seven, sixteen thousand and / forty-eight...
User avatar
gailr
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:40 am

Postby Perry » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:11 pm

My nine year old son does one handed push ups. I do one and a half-handed push ups; but not by choice. (My right arm still doesn't have all of the nerves firing up.)
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous
User avatar
Perry
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:50 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Previous

Return to Res Diversae

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

cron