PORTMANTEAU

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

PORTMANTEAU

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:18 pm

• portmanteau •

Pronunciation: port-mên-toHear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A suitcase that opens into two compartments connected at the bottom by a hinge. 2. (Language) A blend, two words or morphemes that have been smushed together, as smog is a portmanteau word made up of smoke and fog.

Notes: This word is used so infrequently that neither the spelling nor pronunciation has changed since it was borrowed in the 16th century. Look out for the French accent on the last syllable. In fact, watch the spelling of that syllable, too: in French it takes three vowels, [eau] to express [o]. We do use the English plural, portmanteaus.

In Play: This is such a rare substitute for suitcase that it is used for a wide variety of valises and carrying cases: "The grandchildren always exhibited a great curiosity about what Grandpa would pull out of his portmanteau when he visited." When it comes to words, however, it is the lay term for what linguists (including me) call "blends", such as motel (motor + hotel), chortle (chuckle + snort), chingo (chat + lingo), and a recent Good Word, IMglish (IM + English). Contrary to popular belief, creating new portmanteaus is a relatively rare means of adding vocabulary to English because it is so unpredictable.

Word History: Today's word is one we traced directly from French portemanteau, a compound based on porter "to carry" + manteau "cloak, mantle, sleeveless coat". (The French let us have it; they now use valise instead of portmanteau.) In fact, manteau is the Modern French pronunciation of Old French mantel, which English also borrowed as mantle, preserving the original pronunciation. Old French inherited mantel from Latin mantellum "cloth, napkin, mantle". Where the Latin word came from is anyone's guess, though the origin is probably Celtic. (Today we thank Sally Capotosto for unpacking this fascinating word and suggesting we use it.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:48 pm

"Well, 'SLITHY' means 'lithe and slimy'. 'Lithe' is the same as 'active'. You see it's like a portmanteau--there are two meanings packed up into one word."

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:47 am

I remember using this word (in French) for a coathook. what would also be called in Italian an atacpanni (spelling uncertain).
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:03 pm

Portmanteau is all well and good, but what would a Starboardmanteau be? Is Portmanteau reserverd for Liberals such as George Soros and Starboardmantaeau for the likes of Sean Hannity?

I think it's high time for a glass of port!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:57 am

To be or not to be confused with the Italian musical term portamento (pl. portamenti), a slide or slur between notes
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:53 am

I think it's high time for a glass of port!
Too much of that away from home, and you might encounter a portcullis of sorts.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:58 am

Any port in a storm! Since I'm not a drinker, it might be tough to comport myself with great deportment while drinking port.

Skinem--home and lovin' it after too many days in a portmanteau example from hell (Hotel de Eeww).

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:22 pm

All of which brings to mind one of the great ad lines of all time:

"A port in every girl."

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:58 am

Although a certain Flanders and Swan character would have taken issue with that. :D
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:26 am

Although a certain Flanders and Swan character would have taken issue with that. :D
Yike, British Music Hall! What next?
my favourite rhyme here:
And Port is a wine I can well do without;
It's simply a case of Chacun a son GOUT!

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:04 pm

my favourite rhyme here:
Music Hall? I'm not sure F&S quite fall into that musical genre. Regardless, this song is one of my all-time favorites, though it should probably have been called Have Some Zeugmas, M'Dear.

:-)

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:47 pm

my favourite rhyme here:
Music Hall? I'm not sure F&S quite fall into that musical genre. Regardless, this song is one of my all-time favorites, though it should probably have been called Have Some Zeugmas, M'Dear.

:-)

-- PW
Mayhap I'm confusing F&S with the version of the song I'm most familiar with -which artiste is fading into unsurety in my head...

"D'you promise to covet property, propriety, plurality, surety, security and not hurt the State, say what..." -Firesign Theatre

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:07 pm

It is definitely authored by Flanders and Swan, although others have covered it.

As for have zeugmas, m'dear..well not quite.
"Have some Madeira M'Dear" — a song about seduction, full of complex word-play, including three oft-quoted examples of syllepsis.
Syllepsis is somewhat related to the figure zeugma, but in the latter the modifier does not always logically fit one of the words it modifies.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:02 pm

Good link, Perry, but the related link to Zeugma is missing a definition for the Montezeugma.

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:46 am

It is definitely authored by Flanders and Swan, although others have covered it.

As for have zeugmas, m'dear..well not quite.
"Have some Madeira M'Dear" — a song about seduction, full of complex word-play, including three oft-quoted examples of syllepsis.
Syllepsis is somewhat related to the figure zeugma, but in the latter the modifier does not always logically fit one of the words it modifies.
It's Swann, not Swan. From "At the Drop of a Hat" (1960). I think I played the LP until the tracks wore out. I can still render entire songs from memory, though I certainly can't claim to do them any real musical justice.

According to Webster, the 'zeugma' description stands, though it's certainly a less precise term than 'syllepsis' in this case. I think the key, though, is "...does not always logically fit..." To me, the latter term is really a subset of the former.

Did you notice the term "lughole" at the end of the song? One of my very favorite words. Probably because I was often threatened with "a clip round the lughole" as a wee'un. Apparently it's related to Swedish lugg (forelock), as in "something that can be held/grabbed". All according to the OEtD. Rather odd etymology, really.

-- PW

Return to “Good Word Discussion”