PORTMANTEAU

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:42 am

Good link, Perry, but the related link to Zeugma is missing a definition for the Montezeugma.
Zeugma??
Zat the wound marks a working class Cath'lic gets on 'is hands? :roll:
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:33 am

No. It's that mark that Dr. Goodword got on his hands when he had to start over with a new company and website. But you can't keep a good logophile down.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:39 am

Syllepsis is somewhat related to the figure zeugma, but in the latter the modifier does not always logically fit one of the words it modifies.
[/quote]

my favorite was
She lowered her standards by raising her glass, her courage, her eyes and his hopes.
yet I was rooting for her. alas!

mark fairly-new-to-zeugma Bailey
Last edited by Bailey on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:37 pm

Syllepsis is somewhat related to the figure zeugma, but in the latter the modifier does not always logically fit one of the words it modifies.
my favorite was
She lowered her standards by raising her glass, her courage, her eyes and his hopes.
yet I was routing for her. alas!

mark fairly-new-to-zeugma Bailey
Aye, a lass indeed, and she was the sweet tart of Zeugma, she...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:26 pm

poor child led down the primrose path. That is sadder than funny, but in the interests of funny I will offer a joke,

It's old and I'm sure many will have heard it but I have the floor so......
A man inherited a parrot with a terrible habit of cursing..the foulest most disgusting language ever heard issued forth from our bad birdie.
Poor Joe [shall we call our hero Joe?] did everything to get the parrot to stop cursing and spreading lies, for our parrot also prevaricated. Even though Joe doused the bad-mouthing bird, he flicked at her beak with his index finger, shouted, pleaded [Joe was a softie who really couldn't bring himself to hurt Polly-pottymouth] and he scolded until his face turned blue, Polly still said the most horrible things to Joe's guests. One day Joe's girlfriend visited and Joe was wining and dining his lady fair when Polly roused herself and started screaming, "Cathy, you are a big w****, I hear you go all over town you $#^# %&^ & ^&%$ ^%$& *&%$ and on and on. Joe grabbed the bad bird and put her into the first container he could find; the freezer and began to apologise to his shocked girlfriend. Some time went by and Joe realized that the parrot might be getting too cold so he opened the freezer afraid of what he'd find and the repercussions of his actions from the parrots mouth.
tHe slowly opened the door and there stood Polly, who with lowered head slowly walked out and up Joe's arm, she stopped at his shoulder and whispered, "I'm so sorry, please forgive me, I'll never, never again utter one swear word or lie about anyone ever again." Joe nearly dropped dead with shock then Polly whispered, "By the way, what did the chicken do?"

mark what-did-the-chicken-do? Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:24 am

Yike, British Music Hall! What next?
my favourite rhyme here:
And Port is a wine I can well do without;
It's simply a case of Chacun a son GOUT!
Music Hall? I'm not sure F&S quite fall into that musical genre. Regardless, this song is one of my all-time favorites, though it should probably have been called Have Some Zeugmas, M'Dear.

:-)

-- PW
Mayhap I'm confusing F&S with the version of the song I'm most familiar with -which artiste is fading into unsurety in my head...

. . .
If you're an old Folker, it was done by The Limelighters back when Glen Yarborough was with them. Their albums got a lot of play in our house when I was a mere child (As opposed to being a meerkat, cat. Now where did my bongos go?).
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: PORTMANTEAU

Postby Slava » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:46 pm

To resurrect an ancient thread, Here's a new article from the Atlantic on how to make up your own.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: PORTMANTEAU

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:44 pm

Enjoyed the resurrected post. I too have the Limelighter LP.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”