me, myself and I.

You have words - now what do you do with them?
Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

me, myself and I.

Postby Sunny » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:31 pm

I am so confused! I am trying to write an important letter and it seems the simplest of grammer is hanging up the process. I love the Alpha Agora, but it makes me second guess what I am writing, and then I have no idea if I am right or wrong.

The opening paragraph is:

On behalf of Marcus and myself, I would like to thank you all for agreeing....etc.

should it be On behalf of myself and Marcus?

Should it be: On behalf of (whatever is correct), we would like to thank you all for agreeing.....etc.

I know! This is straightforward grammar, grade school grammar even, and I have completely lost my mind! Help please....the more I think about it the more confused I am getting.
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:32 pm

I promise not to read The Alpha Agora before I sit down to write a speech, not ever again!
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:41 pm

on behalf of Marcus and myself, I,

since he's not actually talking there, you are; it's I, we is already in the Marcus and myself, and thank you for not saying Marcus and I, or even worse I and Marcus.....

mark go-with-your-first-instinct-you-are-probably-right Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:27 am

on behalf of Marcus and myself, I,

since he's not actually talking there, you are; it's I, we is already in the Marcus and myself, and thank you for not saying Marcus and I, or even worse I and Marcus.....

mark go-with-your-first-instinct-you-are-probably-right Bailey
I am reminded of Mrs. Slocumbe from Are You Being Served?, who would often remark, "We believe (and I am unanimous in this)...".

Sunny, if this is a speech, just flash them a smile and do your best.

PS: So who is Marcus, and why are people agreeing, and to what?

Perry just-curious-but-not-scurrilous Dror
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:06 am

I loved Mrs. Slocumbe and her unanamous statement!

To saitisfy your curiousity Perry, which is something I greatly admire, for it is a trait that is forever getting me into trouble... :oops: Marcus is my partner in a venture that we are undertaking, and the people the letter is addressed to have previously agreed to join us as managers. Over the years Marcus and I have run chat room on MSN, but with the recent closure of the group chat rooms we have moved to a new location called Buzzen. We have had selected the finest people to join us in running this room and the letter is a welcome, thank you, and here is what we expect letter.

Now if you have rolled your eyes and said to yourself, "well that figures, a chat room", let me assure you that it is a chat room of a different breed. Marcus and I have always run a computer help room, which is where I got started with my love for computers so many years ago. We pride ourselves on a room that is well run, friendly and welcoming for all ages. Family and friends alike are welcome and comfortable in the enviroment that we have worked for five years to create.

In addition to my work, and trying to keep up to date with Alpha Agora, this room keeps me busy and is a good place to spend a few minutes each day connecting with people and helping when I can.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:09 am

Sunny, what's the url? you can PM me if you think it might be spam.

mark chats Bailey

kb

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:36 pm

GetReal ComputingSolutions

Everyone is welcome :D

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: me, myself and I.

Postby sluggo » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:01 pm

I am so confused! I am trying to write an important letter and it seems the simplest of grammer is hanging up the process. I love the Alpha Agora, but it makes me second guess what I am writing, and then I have no idea if I am right or wrong.

The opening paragraph is:

On behalf of Marcus and myself, I would like to thank you all for agreeing....etc.

should it be On behalf of myself and Marcus?

Should it be: On behalf of (whatever is correct), we would like to thank you all for agreeing.....etc.

I know! This is straightforward grammar, grade school grammar even, and I have completely lost my mind! Help please....the more I think about it the more confused I am getting.
Sunny, don't apologise, after all you are Canadian... <duck> :wink:

OK, "on behalf of Marcus and myself" would probably flow better (the writer taking the modest pose of putting herself second), but either way will be fine. If the preceding blurb is mainly coming from you and Marcus is relatively insignificant, then you might lean the other way instead.

In either case, assuming it's clear you're writing for both, then you are a singular I would like to thank, with the on behalf of... being a subordinate clause where the sentence could stand without it; wheras if you and Marcus are writing together it would be "Marcus and I would like to thank".

Of coarse I'm second guessing this as I write it and have no idea if it's write or rung... :roll:

Best wishes on the project (that's typed with a long O)
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:03 pm

What an amazing and generous group of people you all are. I realize that my question is relatively simple in comparison to some of the other questions that I have seen posted, and yet you have treated my question with dignity and respect and helped me learn something along the way. I generally know that I am correct, but I don't know why. I am afraid that I went to a rather experimental elementary school, and the experiment failed miserably in my opinion. Most of the basics of education I have picked up from reading, night classes as an adult, and trial and error.

Thank you for your time, patience and answers!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:23 pm

"On behalf of Marcus and myself," is ok.

But I am repelled by podiumspeak such as "you may contact myself for the information".

-gailr
speaking purely for myself...

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:01 pm

Apart from being egocentric there is nothing wrong with the word "me", especially in the instance quoted by Gailr.

mark me-myself-and-I Bailey

kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:17 pm

In addition to my work, and trying to keep up to date with Alpha Agora, this room keeps me busy and is a good place to spend a few minutes each day connecting with people and helping when I can.
Sounds like a good room for ruminating.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:47 pm

I admit to having to look up the word
ruminating

So I am not sure if I am to be insulted, or if I should agree with you!

Here is what I found:

ru·mi·nate (rm-nt)
v. ru·mi·nat·ed, ru·mi·nat·ing, ru·mi·nates
v.intr.
1. To turn a matter over and over in the mind.
2. To chew cud.
v.tr.
To reflect on over and over again.

In the interest of my own ego, I am going with the last..."To reflect on over and over again". The thought of being referred to as a cow chewing my cud would require a complete wardrobe change and as well a change of expression as I eat my dinner!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:05 am

as well a change of expression as I eat my dinner!
you aren't contented at dinner? or is that just for California Cows?

That was funny, Sunny. I think Perry's room for ruminating was cute too.

mark likes-aliteration/puns/funny-words-as-well-as-a-good-turn-of-phrase Bailey

kb

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:18 am

Sunny does too!

Return to “Grammar”