I've found another sign!

You have words - now what do you do with them?
AdoAnnie
Junior Lexiterian

I've found another sign!

Postby AdoAnnie » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:14 am

Sitting at the counter of a Waffle House cafe I noticed a sign on the wall that read:

Shirts and shoes must be worn to be served

First, is this a warning to shirts and shoes that they must be in shabby shape to get service?

Or Second, is this a warning to customers that their shirts and shoes must be in a run down state before said customer can be served?

Or possibly Third, is this a caveat to customers who are being served shirts and shoes to note that said items will be offered 'second hand ala mode"?

I have been musing over this oddly worded sign for days. What department of ambiguity thinks up these phrases and why?
The neighbors said that they knew the man who'd been shot for years.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:19 am

ado, you have a strange turn of mind.

mark likes-it-though Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:08 pm

Either the first (a warning to shirts and shoes that they must be in shabby shape to get service). Or else a warning that, while all other articles of clothing are completely optional, customers must be wearing a shirt and a pair of shoes. I.e., it's a laid back atmosphere, but they wouldn't want to be sued for crushed toes or burns about the torso.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:46 pm

The unanswered question is why shoes and shirts (worn or otherwise) are essential to both health regs and service, yet pants do not seem to be a requirement for either...

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:19 pm

The unanswered question is why shoes and shirts (worn or otherwise) are essential to both health regs and service, yet pants do not seem to be a requirement for either...
You have penetrated to the very essence of my point.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:20 am

I've always wondered at folk who find bare feet disgusting, but never blanch at other "bear" spots.

mark bruins-run-silently-in-the-forest-because-they-have-bear-feet Bailey

kb

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:16 pm

I've always wondered at folk who find bare feet disgusting, but never blanch at other "bear" spots.

mark bruins-run-silently-in-the-forest-because-they-have-bear-feet Bailey
Few things are as appetizing at the Waffle House as the sight of 350-lb Bubba with rolls of exposed tummy fat spilling out from under his regulation, but regrettably somewhat short, wife-beater.

"Waitress, could you bring me another order of lard?"

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:12 pm

Few things are as appetizing at the Waffle House as the sight of 350-lb Bubba with rolls of exposed tummy fat spilling out from under his regulation, but regrettably somewhat short, wife-beater.

"Waitress, could you bring me another order of lard?"

-- PW
I had an entertaining debate with my dad on a similar topic, many years ago. He was appalled by a news report covering (so to speak) some feminists challenging their local obscenity laws vis-a-vis who could appear in public sans the abovementioned shirt. Although Europe seems to be gamely soldiering on despite its lax morals, my dad was spared the sight of free-ranging, unfettered US females in his lifetime. If only my own retinas were not permanently scarred by frequent exposure to those males proudly baring gynecomastia and beer bellies. :shock:

-gailr :lol:

Liberté, Fraternité, Égalité! Vivent les sans-culottes!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:57 pm

Gailr I agree these little boys with no muscle no chest hair need to keep their shirts on, I just want to laugh when they strut their *stuff* lol and see also how that no shirt no shoes thing worked
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - No shirt, no service? What about no clothes at all? A couple that began squabbling in a motel room Friday morning carried their dispute over to an adjacent Waffle House restaurant in the nude, police said.

The woman, who was not identified, told officers she was staying in a room with Larry Boyd when he took a hit of cocaine, started trashing their room and choked her.

She ran in the buff to the nearby restaurant and locked herself in the bathroom. Boyd, also naked, followed her into the restaurant and then fled in a car.
mark the-streak-[NOT] Bailey

kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:40 pm

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - No shirt, no service? What about no clothes at all? A couple that began squabbling in a motel room Friday morning carried their dispute over to an adjacent Waffle House restaurant in the nude, police said.

The woman, who was not identified, told officers she was staying in a room with Larry Boyd when he took a hit of cocaine, started trashing their room and choked her.

She ran in the buff to the nearby restaurant and locked herself in the bathroom. Boyd, also naked, followed her into the restaurant and then fled in a car.
Just another normal day in Nashville. Or, Waffle House.
Quite sad, though. I didn't know the former basketball player had a cocaine problem...

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:23 pm

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - . . .Larry Boyd . . .
Just another normal day in Nashville. Or, Waffle House.
Quite sad, though. I didn't know the former basketball player had a cocaine problem...
Uh, I really don't think they were spelling Bird phonetically . . .
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:57 pm

former basketball player[/b] had a cocaine problem...
Uh, I really don't think they were spelling Bird phonetically . . .
Unless they're from up North! :)

I just couldn't restrain myself from the boyd/bird thing...

I know--it's about third grade level humor, but if nothing else, I entertain myself!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:41 pm

I know--it's about third grade level humor, but if nothing else, I entertain myself!
I'm entertained too, you just keep on keeping on, there skinny, I love it. It really sets the tone here.

mark but-then-I-like-silly Bailey

kb

Return to “Grammar”