just out of curiosity

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

just out of curiosity

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:43 pm

Bubba was over the other night, I noticed he drops his "L's" is this regional or pure laziness. I mean he says code for cold, hoed for hold, etc. He's "from" southern Illinois. by way of the south and originally Maine.

mark whattaya-think? Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:19 pm

Speech impediment?

Does he drop them in words with double Ls such as Illinois, or words with sylable breaks such as Colorado?

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:37 pm

I know he can pronounce "L's" he just doesn't in short words, to which he usually limits himself, Oh and btw he says concreek instead of concrete, drives me crazy, but for me it's a short trip.

mark bubba-is-my-favorite-crazy-relative Bailey

kb

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:36 pm

I know he can pronounce "L's" he just doesn't in short words, to which he usually limits himself, Oh and btw he says concreek instead of concrete, drives me crazy, but for me it's a short trip.

mark bubba-is-my-favorite-crazy-relative Bailey
Sounds to me like he's dropping his "dark-Ls", i.e. Ls that appear directly before a plosive consonant. In London-English, for example, the dark-L virtually becomes a W sound: "kawd" for cold; "miwk" for milk, etc.

I don't seem to have IPA characters, or I could render what I mean more clearly.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:45 pm

"Dropping dark l's" sounds ominous, but the word is still understandable. Palewriter, what is the correct term for the "l" shift my great-greats made: americanizing words like "Llewellyn"?

-gaillr :lol:

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:59 pm

Sounds to me like he's dropping his "dark-Ls", i.e. Ls that appear directly before a plosive consonant. In London-English, for example, the dark-L virtually becomes a W sound: "kawd" for cold; "miwk" for milk, etc.

I don't seem to have IPA characters, or I could render what I mean more clearly.

-- PW
could be PW, but he doesn't replace it with a "w" he says code, hoed, bode, instead of cold, hold, bold, etc, he does pronounce double "L's" as though good ol' Bubba believes single "L's" don't deserve any recognition. I assure you he is not cognizant of anything so complicated.
Here many with speech impediments say Bee' Oh[rapidly it is more like Bue] for Bill.

mark not-related-to-Bubba Bailey

kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:27 am

-- PW
Just show Bub' this analysis- he'll realise how much work he's doing and go back to good ol' "Korrekt" Englisch.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:44 am

Bubba is my personal "cross to bear" ; 'reasoning with' and 'Bubba' in the same phrase is in oxy moron territory.

mark long-suffering Bailey

kb

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:30 am

For the mark long-suffering Bailey, may I suggest a couple of quick shots before the next visit? I personally prefer iced vodka, but whatever works! :roll:
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:48 am

Oh NO, no booze around Bubba, if he suspects there's spirits in the house he will search and destroy, and by destroy I mean consume.

mark would-really-be-suffering Bailey

kb

Return to “Res Diversae”