William
Junior Lexiterian

Lethality of popcorn

Postby William » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:46 am

From Merriam Webster online
Main Entry: pop·corn
Pronunciation: 'päp-"korn
Function: noun
: an Indian corn (Zea mays praecox) whose kernels on exposure to heat burst open to form a white starchy mass; also : the kernels especially after popping
Popcorn, a favorite snack of movie goers (at least in the U.S.) and popular since Amerinds introduced the food to Pilgrims, can actually kill you.

True story. It was very early morning on New Year's Day, 1997, when my friend, who I will call George (not his real name) woke up with severe abdominal pain and a raging fever. His wife rushed him to the local hospital. The Emergency Room personnel reacted quickly and contacted their chief surgeon who arrived barely in time to save George's life.

Can you guess what happened?

William, whose consumption of popped corn decreased sharply after learning of George's ordeal.

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:09 pm

No, I can't guess, what happened?
and I've wracked my brain.....

Katy

William
Junior Lexiterian

Postby William » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:09 pm

A diverticulum in George's large intestine gradually filled up with bran from the popcorn. On January 1, 1997 the diverticulum ruptured and almost killed George. The surgeon who handled his case set him up with a colostomy arrangement for the six months it would take to heal from the surgery and "cleaning out" procedure, with the caveat that he may not be able to reconnect the great bowel at the end of the six months. As it happened, luck was with George and the reconnection was successful. Now 8 years later he is happily retired and never ever eats pop corn.

The surgeon confided to George that the major part of his practice consists of dealing with ruptured diverticuli.

William, who can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times he has eaten popcorn since George's harrowing experience with the devilish stuff,

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:16 pm

diverticuli
Diverticuli? Shouldn't it be diverticula? I haven't checked any English dictionary, though, I'm just using my Latin.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:43 pm

no matter how it's spelt, only those with diverticulitis have any danger with popcorn or any bran, nuts, and seeds.

Katy

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:06 pm

Diverticulitis is inflammation of an abnormal pouch (diverticulum) in the intestinal wall, usually found in the large intestine (colon). The presence of the pouches themselves is called diverticulosis.
Diverticulitis

BD:
Shouldn't it be diverticula?
Yes! It should!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:19 pm

At any rate to be concrened with popcorn on the off chance you have diverticulae, is like worrying about getting malaria in the Arctic circle.

Katy
But I totally agree with you, Stouty that it's a scary thing to have happen, I understand that diverticulitis is painful, I checked it out on the net, I remember my adoptive mother died of it or rather the complications.

William
Junior Lexiterian

Postby William » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:35 pm

Diverticuli? Shouldn't it be diverticula? I haven't checked any English dictionary, though, I'm just using my Latin.
Yes! It should!

I wondered about that. It has been many, many years since I studied Latin (1963) and then it was only for one semester, I didn't do all that well. So I don't know all of the rules regarding the formation of plurals in Latin, or Italian for that matter.

OK, Katy, Maybe I'll start eating popcorn again, at least as long as I have teeth. I understand that people with dentures don't eat popcorn cuz it hurts.

When I was a senior in college I lived in one of the cheap dormitories at Arizona State University. My room mate that year was an engineering student from India. He was a very nice fellow who introduced me to a food which he called papad (that's as near as I can come to its pronunciation). Papad consisted of disks about the size of corn tortillas, only much dryer, and I think it was made of green peas or lentils or maybe both. I had an electric hot plate upon which I heated my dinner each night (usually consisting of Minute Rice® mixed with a can of Campbells®
vegetable beef soup). We used the hot plate to heat the papad. It bubbled up when heated and tasted pretty good.
I introduced my room mate to pop corn and we spent many an evening talking about India and the U.S. and eating papad and pop corn. I have not heard from him in almost 35 years. I hope that he doesn't have diverticulitis, or if he does that he stopped eating pop corn.

Do any agorists recognized the food, "papad"?

William

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:25 pm

I don't recognize that food, although in college there were quite a few students from India, Pakistan and other Far Eastern nations.

An online site I found called Saroj's Cookbook has a recipe with papad in it...

And I don't know how accurate this is, but here's the Nutrition Facts and Food Composition Analysis for Papad.

-Tim

William
Junior Lexiterian

Postby William » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:35 pm

Thanks for the links, Tim

William

Return to “Res Diversae”