LOLLYGAG

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:30 am

Lived in the South all my life, albeit North Carolina. (I'll excuse the 4-year stint in Richmond as an excursion to the nether-regions, since if you wanted sweet tea you had to specifically ask for it, and there were some places that *gasp* didn't even serve it.)

Never heard it pronounced 'lallygag'...

-Tim
Maybe Virginia figures they have enough diabetics as it is ... Oh, well, you can now get Sweet Tea at McDonald's in Maryland.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:00 am

I see you've decked your avatar for the holidays, gzer. It looks right jolly.

-gailr

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:59 am

...had to specify sweet tea in the capitol of the Confederacy!?
:lol: That's exactly what my wife says about the ordeal, as we now refer to it... :wink:

Back to lollygag, though, the 'lally' pronunciation sounds distinctly northern-US to me. Native Southern drawl would probably render the term lullygaggin', I think.

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:30 am

Back to lollygag, though, the 'lally' pronunciation sounds distinctly northern-US to me. Native Southern drawl would probably render the term lullygaggin', I think.
I'm Florida born and raised. I, in fact, have lived in this same county all my life, and I've only ever heard "lallygag", definitely never "lullygag". Trust me, the only northerner in my family was my great-grandfather (deceased in the mid 1980's) who was from Delaware.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:16 pm

-gailr
Yes, I've been wearing it to work this week. Trouble is, the antlers don't always stay erect; they flop down when you move and there's no drug, prescription or otherwise, to correct that form of ED (Erect-Antler Disfunction) condition. I'll have to find a pin.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:26 am

-gailr
Yes, I've been wearing it to work this week. Trouble is, the antlers don't always stay erect; they flop down when you move and there's no drug, prescription or otherwise, to correct that form of ED (Erect-Antler Disfunction) condition. I'll have to find a pin.
hmmm.. they're both flaccid and flocculent then?

Slug-not that-I-have-any-advice-go
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:43 am

hmmm.. they're both flaccid and flocculent then?

Slug-not that-I-have-any-advice-go
how odd there seems to be a lot of that going around.

mark both-wooly-and-bully-so-far Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:42 am

I can't quite get used to the term ED. When I was a lad, we called it BD - Brewer's Droop.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:15 am

Wonderful euphemism!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Discussion”