CRAZY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

CRAZY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:42 pm

• crazy •

Pronunciation: kray-zee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Full of cracks, frail, about to fall to pieces. 2. Insane, demented, out of one's mind. 3. Wild but fun (crazy party), unpredictable, out of the ordinary, unorthodox (crazy idea), out of line or alignment (crazy brick pattern)

Notes: After the crazy suggestion that to pluto is a verb yesterday, we thought that today we should investigate crazy itself. This word compares with suffixes: crazier and craziest. The adverb is crazily and the noun, craziness (don't forget to replace Y with I before suffixes). A person who is crazy is a crazy who belongs to the class of all crazies. We have also back derived a new noun, a craze, which means craziness over something very popular, such as the recent iPod craze. A craziologist is a psychiatrist or psychologist whom you don't like.

In Play: The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) has not declared the original meaning of today's Good Word obsolete, so we must deal with it: "I don't understand how grandma's crazy pitcher holds any water." My wife once made pottery with crazy raku glazes (like the one above) in the original sense of this Good Word. But the adjective today is used far more often to refer to the behavior of someone out of their mind: "Swallowing live goldfish was called a craze back in the 20s because it was a crazy thing to do."

Word History: English speakers were using pot in reference to the skull at least by the 15th century. The metaphor of a cracked pot referring to someone who is out of their mind started sometimes later, beginning with cracked brain and ending up simply as cracked in modern English. Crazy, derived from the verb craze, took on the same meaning sometime in the 17th century. The verb itself was probably borrowed from the same Old Norse word that ended up in Swedish as krasa "to crackle". It is related to crash and crack. (Today we thank that wild and crazy guy Perry Dror for discovering the insanity of today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:31 am

Perry, you crazy cat, bustin' out this WOTD.

Someday (in the distant future, I hope) I will inherit my mom's grandmother's crazy quilt. I plan to not display it folded in tissue paper inside a trunk in the garage, as has been done by all past owners...

-gailr

At least crazed doesn't require stitches and sutures...

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:45 am

There is another noun: Crazing
A craze is different from a crack in that it can continue to support a load.
Also, from OneLook:
Crazing

(n.) Fine cracks resulting from shrinkage on the surface of glazed pottery, concrete, or other material. The admired crackle in some Oriental potteries and porcelains is crazing produced in a foreseen and regulated way. In common pottery it is often the result of exposure to undue heat, and the beginning of disintegration.
(p. pr. & vb. n.) of Craze
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:52 pm

In fact, in the early 70's Raku fired pottery was the latest craze.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Discussion”