What's your accent?

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
skinem
Grand Panjandrum

What's your accent?

Postby skinem » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:16 pm

The below quiz supposedly tells what accent you have...
It's not as detailed as the one here and has as little different approach.
http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_a ... o_you_have

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:35 pm

Not bad. It pegged me as hailing from the Great Lakes.

Perry I-did-grow-up-in-Detroit-but-I-came-to-my-senses Dror
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:21 am

Hmmm.
It has me as North Central, and I have never lived there.
Having said that, my father was born in Indiana, but grew up in Southern California (by which I mean he graduated from High School there and went to college there and spent his entire professional career there). My mother was born in North Dakota, but grew up in California. However, she does have a midwestern connection in that she taught school for a couple of years in Minnesota.

I also took the California quizz and it doesn't agree that I am from California, or even Oakland. (They don't seem to like the fact that I mostly rode my bicyle around and avoided driving as much as possible.)

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 am

Mine came out pretty much precisely right, although I'm not sure it wasn't by at least partly by chance. Also not sure what the graph at the end represented- it could have been a tally of how many people landed in which areas, but if it was a probability study of my own quiz it was so accurate as to be scary.

Then again out of curiosity I took one of the other quizzes, something like "are you a smart or stupid American?" on recent history and general knowledge and after finishing was able to upload in a couple of minutes my own "what's wrong with the smart/stupid American" quiz (quiz lists various wrong answers, bad spelling/punctuation/wording, etc) so there appears to be no screening process to put one of these up. It does seem some thought went into the accent quiz though.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:00 pm

I took the accent quiz and it said I was mostly from the west but most likely from the inland north...I never lived there. I also took one of the California quizzes and it said I only had family there and vacation there. Ha. I was raised there. Guess it goes to show how long I have lived in GA. I also took the Arkansas quiz ( I lived in the Fayetteville/Springdale area for two years) and it said I was 99% Arkansan. There was not one for Georgia, hmmm...

Huny --I have no identity--
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:21 pm

You are a member of the Alpha Agora. Seems like an identity to me Huny Pie.
Last edited by Perry on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:53 pm

You are a member of the Alpha Agora. Seems like an identity to my Huny Pie.
Well, I guess you're right. This is a place where accents are a topic of good conversation, not a downfall.

Huny- (Georgia Peach?)
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:28 pm

Welcome home Huny, you were greatly missed :wink:

mark missed-huny Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:30 pm

Welcome home Huny, you were greatly missed :wink:

mark missed-huny Bailey
Aw shucks, Bailey, you're making me blush... :wink:

Huny- ( I feel all mushy and stuff inside)

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:40 pm

Huny:

How do you pronounce the in the following words from your response: "blush," "mushy," and "stuff"?

o Same
o Different
o Wait a minute, didn't I already take this test?

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:32 pm

It told me I was from the Midwest, perhaps Pennsylvania. Funny because I am a "born and raised" Floridian and have never been to PA.

On 2nd notice, I took the Floridian test #1 and it says I am pure. Also, my husband took the accent test and it said he must be from Florida! lol
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
http://www.feelgoodromance.com

book_worm5
Junior Lexiterian

Postby book_worm5 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:19 pm

It told me I had a Midland accent, with the next-highest two being Western and Inland North. In actual fact I'm western Canadian, so there was no way the poor quiz could get it right, but now I'm curious as to what those areas actually are, and what they sound like. Anyone know?

-Scott

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:10 pm

I just happened on this and so I took the test. I never took such a poorly done quiz. It has me from Pennsylvania already! (They say “already” in PA.) I am a Texan and I speak “educated” Texan. I can speak other varieties of Texan for effect or to fit in a crowd. The writer of this test should get a different job.

book_worm5: I am not sure what Midland, Western and Inland North accents are. I think someone just made them up for the purpose of the test. I know the name of a lot of American English accents and I don’t know these. If Midland accents are those from Kansas and Nebraska they say a short “a” (as in bat) for the “a” in Colorado, a short “a” for the “a”s in pajamas, probably a short “a” for every “a”. I looked around and I can’t find anything else as good as that done by the Good Doctor.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Moseng
Junior Lexiterian

Re: What's your accent?

Postby Moseng » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:31 am

I was totally a fool in front of this test because the accent is totally different from mine.
Last edited by Moseng on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

bnjtokyo

Re: What's your accent?

Postby bnjtokyo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:46 am

I took the quiz again after a several year hiatus. Now I am "Inland North" 100% and accused of referring to soft drinks as "pop". Hardly. Last time it had me as "North Central" but this time "North Central" is only 15%, the lowest of the ratings. My background hasn't changed but I've been living in Japan a few more years.

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”