SANCTION

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:08 am

PS - speaking of picky, contranym or contronym? One of you even did it both ways! Are they homanyms?
I'm going to be difficult and go with auto-antonym.

-gailr

Debate is still raging over the contras?

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:12 am

Say, nice link*. I like antagonym outta that list, though Janus word is interesting.

* except for spelling: Hindi kal /kʌl/ may mean either yesterday or tomorrow (diambiguated by the verb in the senetense).
I fixed it :roll:
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Don
Junior Lexiterian

"Contranyms"?

Postby Don » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:51 pm

Dr. G -

See Sluggo's Jan 11 P.S. Your original piece said "contronym", attributing this coinage to Richard Lederer. I in raising my question inadvertently misspelled your word, making it "contranym". You in responding then accepted my misspelling. Which is it?

Lederer has the right, I guess, to call it what he chooses; but "contranym" seems more likely to me: My dictionary suggests there is a bona fide Latin prefix "contra-" (as in "contradiction", etc.), whereas there's only the word "controvert" which involves no prefix. On the other hand, I have no Latin and am only guessing. The "homo-" in "homonym" is a Greek prefix; so would "contro-" also be a Greek prefix of which I'm unaware?

Don

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:54 pm

Seems to be my time for typos. (I don't really need to know the frequency. I never "touch that dial". It's the only station for me.) Must come from being wild and crazy. :lol:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Don
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Don » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:11 pm

I also greatly appreciated gailr's Wikipedia on "auto-antonym".

I don't, however, want to lose track of my original question - whether we've got (a) one word with two meanings, or (b) two words, each with its own single meaning. The Wikipedia article smudges that issue, saying it both ways. The smudge seems accidental, but I would wonder whether the article's author has some reason for going one way or the other.

Dr. Goodword in response to my original question claimed that the first alternative is correct; and - as I said - that makes sense to me. (How one answers this question of mine could have implications for theories of language.)

Don

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

But the point was well taken . . .

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:12 am

Yes, I'm just plain "Bob" up North though down South I'm "Robert Earl" (named for a paternal and a maturnal uncles). I love traveling back and forth between the two cultures.

Yes, contranyms are single polysemous words, specifically containing contradictory or contrary meanings. Homonyms like (a) bear and (to) bear are discrete accidentally orthographically identical words.
Last edited by Dr. Goodword on Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

tcward
Wordmaster

Re: But the point was well taken . . .

Postby tcward » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:56 am

Yes, contranyms are single polysemous words, specifically containing contradictory or contrary meanings. Homonyms like (a) bear and (to) bear are discrete accidentally orthographically identical words.
I hereby sanction Robert Earl's clarification.

-Tim :wink:

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:17 am

And we all noticed how the good Doctor slyly sidestepped the contro/contraversy. I figure it should depend on whether the words in question are masculine or feminine, but nooooo... we had to do away with genders while all the other lingos snicker! :?

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:20 pm

So, sluggo, you're saying that Dr. Goodword is remaining neutral?
Do you sanction this postion? :lol:
-gailr

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:11 am

So, sluggo, you're saying that Dr. Goodword is remaining neutral?
Do you sanction this postion? :lol:
-gailr
I'm in no position to sanction his position as it was he who positioned 'sanction'.

Been meaning to ask, Gailr, what's the bird's eye lowdown on this caper of bolding names? It seems I've seen this in the very old old posts from like, y'know like months ago.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:06 pm

So, are we sanctioning all this or sanctioning all this?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”