Dante Alighieri, L'Inferno, and kinematics

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Dante Alighieri, L'Inferno, and kinematics

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:21 pm

I can't resist making Tim Radford's recent article, reproduced below with a slight emendation in square brackets, available to fellow Agorists, lovers of both literature and the physical sciences as you all no doubt are....

Henri
How Dante beat Galileo to law of motion by 300 years

Tim Radford, science editor

Thursday April 7, 2005

Guardian

The poet Dante Alighieri knew about modern physics as well as sophisticated rhyme. Some 300 years ahead of Galileo, the great poet of hell, purgatory and heaven described a physical law of motion now known as Galilean invariance, an Italian physicist reports today.
Galileo's principle says the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference. That is, someone moving at uniform speed observes the same experimental results as someone not moving at all. This principle became one of the foundations of the science built up by Newton and others.
But, writing in the journal Nature, Leonardo Ricci, of the University of Trento, northern Italy, says Dante spotted the same thing early in the 14th century. He did not pursue the logic but did describe it in canto 17 of his epic work Inferno.
In this canto, Dante and his guide, Virgil, descend from one circle of eternal torment to another by climbing on the back of the winged monster Geryon. In what is thought to be the first description of the sensation of flying, Dante is aware only of the air and the monster below him.
In a translation by the American poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, the canto runs:
Onward he goeth, swimming slowly, slowly
Wheels and descends, but I perceive it only
By wind upon my face and from below.

[Ella sen va notando lenta lenta;
rota e discende, ma non me n'accorgo
se non che al viso e di sotto mi venta.
]

The lines reveal a remarkable intuition. "The observer Dante can imagine himself in a frame that a contemporary physicist would define, with a fair approximation, as inertial," Dr Ricci said.
Dante understood that such a wide spiral flight would be felt as motion in a straight line. But also, "Dante asserts that, aside from the effect of the wind, his sensation of flying was not dissimilar from being at rest ... this invariance [agrees] with the concept expressed by Galileo ... It seems Dante was well ahead of his time with regard to views about the laws of nature held in the middle ages."
Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2005
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:05 pm

A bonus use to the Agora: my neighbor teaches at the local college and is putting together a course on Dante. I printed this off for him.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:01 am

You see why we miss M. Henri. He and I didn't always agree, but I always enjoyed his posts.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Res Diversae”