and here for your enjoyment, apropos of nothing

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

and here for your enjoyment, apropos of nothing

Postby Bailey » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:58 pm

A woman rushed to see her doctor, looking very worried and all strung out. She says, "Doctor, take a look at me. When I woke up this morning, I looked at myself in the mirror and saw my hair all wiry and frazzled up, my skin was all wrinkled and pasty, my eyes were bloodshot and bugging out, and I had this corpse-like look on my face! What's WRONG with me, Doctor!?"
The doctor looked her over for a couple of minutes, then calmly said: "Well, I can tell you that there's nothing wrong with your eyesight."

mark time-to-find-a-new-doc Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:57 pm

For your edification and amusement:

A major research institution has recently announced the discovery of the heaviest element yet known to science. This new element has been tentatively named "Administratium".

Administratium has 1 neutron, 12 assistant neutrons, 75 deputy neutrons, and 11 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic mass of 312. These 312 particles are held together by a force called morons, which are surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like particles called peons. Since Administratium has no electrons, it is inert. However, it can be detected as it impedes every reaction with which it comes into contact.

A minute amount of Administratium causes one reaction to take over 4 days to complete when it would normally take less than a second. Administratium has a normal half-life of 3 years; it does not decay but instead undergoes a reorganization, in which a portion of the assistant neutrons and deputy neutrons and assistant deputy neutrons exchange places.

In fact, Administratium's mass will actually increase over time, since each reorganization causes some morons to become neutrons forming isodopes. This characteristic of moron-promotion leads some scientists to speculate that Administratium is formed whenever morons reach a certain quantity in concentration. This hypothetical quantity is referred to as "Critical Morass".

-gailr

Science is simply common sense at its best that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic. -- Thomas Henry Huxley

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:47 pm

Hmmmm...I'd always heard that Administratium did have electrons. They were called "bureaucraps" and thus were still inert.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu May 24, 2007 12:46 pm

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson went on a camping trip.
After a good meal and a bottle of wine, they lay down for the night and went to sleep.

Some hours later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend. "Watson, look up and tell me what you see."

Watson replied, "I see millions and millions of stars."

"What does that tell you?"

Watson pondered for a minute. "Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo. Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three. Theologically, I can see that God is all powerful and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. Why, what does it tell YOU?"

Holmes was silent for a minute, then spoke. "Watson, you idiot. Some jerk has stolen our tent."
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu May 24, 2007 4:03 pm

Good one, Perry! I see my suss pun was prescient...

-gailr

Return to “Res Diversae”